Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado GMU 12

Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Default Colorado GMU 12

Has anyone ever hunted in Colorado GMU 12?? We just applied for archery season, we all have at least 3 preference points so we are sure to get in. Weusuallyhunt in area 25 and 15 never been to area 12. Have heard good things about animal numbers and harvest numbers in 12. Just looking for aplace to startmaybe a trail head or something.It would be greatto find an areaof little pressure if you get off the beaten path. We usually hike in and camp at least 2 miles from the nearest trail head if possible. Would reallyappreciate any thoughts or sugguestions anyone has on areas to target or reasearch!Thanks.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Colorado GMU 12

I am not sure what GMU 12 is like. But we have out it as our 2nd choice for the first rifle hunt. Not sure if we will get in or not due to no preference points. We shall see. We have hunted area 22 next to Meeker in the Picenance Creek area. Had good luck. Good luck to you.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Colorado GMU 12

The north of unit 12 has alot of private land. The south end is the Flat tops wilderness. There's one main forest road through the unit with a couple of trail heads headingto the north end and a few to the south. I'd park the truck and head in as far as possible away from any roads.
There were a substantial amount of forest fires in 2002 and I've got to think the old burns would be a good place to start looking but honestly I've yet to spend time there during september when I didn't see a decent number of elk from the road while driving through (and I've passed archery hunters who'd been there all week and not seen an elk...). I know how I'd hunt the unit but I don't care to broadcast that to the rest of the internet...
12 is an odd unit because its limitted for archery and muzz (and of course first rifle) but gets hammered by the general population during the second rifle season so you don't get the full advantage of hunting a limitted entry unit like you would with some other areas in the state.
Either way, that's a beautiful piece of real estate in September. If you hunt hard, you'll get into elk. Have a great time!
Will