Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gun dog for Colorado

Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Gun dog for Colorado

I am looking for the first gun dog, live in CO, hunt and will be hunting pheasants, quail, rabbits, ducksin eastern CO. Big yard, small kids, 2x3 hrs alone in the yard/ house M_T.
Any rccomendations? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun dog for Colorado

To answer your question, my answer would be a Pointing Labrador.

Where in E. CO do you live? Just wondered why you didn't mention Doves.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 AM

i agree with Doc E a lab would be perfect. they are so good with kids and can trust them by themselves during the day. i also might consider a GSP. they have a bit more energy, but you said you have a big yard. All the GSP i have been around have been good with kids. i have one of each and have had very good success in eastern colorado.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

I would recommend looking at some of the European Versatiles.

Examples and good websites to look at would be:

Deutsch Drahthaars - www.vdd-gna.org
Deutsch Kurzhaars - http://www.nadkc.org/
Pudelpointer - http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon -www.wpgca.org
Large Munsterlander - http://www.lmcna.org/

I have a 3 1/2 year old son and decided that a Pudelpointer is going to have absolutely everything I need in a hunting dog at the same time being a great member of the family (well, maybe not with the cat, but we'll see).

One of the good things about the first three breeds I have listed (maybe the Munsterlander as well, I'm not sure); none of them are recognized by the AKC. So, none of the breeders will be breeding show dogs. They are all hunting dogs. This is not the case with other breeds, which only means the excercise of finding the right breeder could be more difficult; especially if you don't know a lot of people in the dog world.

Good luck,
Old 05-26-2006, 03:47 AM
Banned

tough to beat a lab IMO
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 PM

Any breed will do you right if you seek the right breeder that produces pups that work for you. Eastern Colorado hunting and Western Kansas is taylor made for big running dogs. Big milo, wheat, and CRP grass. It does not get terribly cold. My first choice would be a NAVHDA bred shorthair or a Deutsch Kurzhaar. Maybe even an English pointer.

I disagree with the lab thing as I lived and hunted in eastern colorado for many many years. It is not like hunting in the midwest. Unless you hunt river bottoms strictly, that is pheasant hunting made for dogs that will run wide open.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Laufer
Are you wanting an all around dog for fur, upland and waterfowl? Then a versatile or pointing lab would suit you. But if you're just wanting an upland dog then you may also want to check out the english setter. I'm kinda of bias though. Everyone worries about their coats but a simple brush or trim the feathering and you basically have a brittany with a tail.

If you get one, get a Llewellin setter x English setter (most english setter have Llew blood in them anyways). But generally, the crosses tend more towards the english (stylish points and run big) but retain the Llew bird drive and nose.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

Any breed will do you right if you seek the right breeder that produces pups that work for you. Eastern Colorado hunting and Western Kansas is taylor made for big running dogs. Big milo, wheat, and CRP grass. It does not get terribly cold. My first choice would be a NAVHDA bred shorthair or a Deutsch Kurzhaar. Maybe even an English pointer.

I disagree with the lab thing as I lived and hunted in eastern colorado for many many years. It is not like hunting in the midwest. Unless you hunt river bottoms strictly, that is pheasant hunting made for dogs that will run wide open.
So you would prefere pointer to flushers, but not pointing labs?
Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mustad

I would recommend looking at some of the European Versatiles.

Examples and good websites to look at would be:

Deutsch Drahthaars - www.vdd-gna.org
Deutsch Kurzhaars - http://www.nadkc.org/
Pudelpointer - http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon -www.wpgca.org
Large Munsterlander - http://www.lmcna.org/

I have a 3 1/2 year old son and decided that a Pudelpointer is going to have absolutely everything I need in a hunting dog at the same time being a great member of the family (well, maybe not with the cat, but we'll see).

One of the good things about the first three breeds I have listed (maybe the Munsterlander as well, I'm not sure); none of them are recognized by the AKC. So, none of the breeders will be breeding show dogs. They are all hunting dogs. This is not the case with other breeds, which only means the excercise of finding the right breeder could be more difficult; especially if you don't know a lot of people in the dog world.

Good luck,
Thanks mustad. Those likns are realy helpflu.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: laufer303

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

So you would prefere pointer to flushers, but not pointing labs?
Thanks for your comments.
I think you would be happiest with a dog that runs rather big in that country, at least 100 yards out but more (within reason) is better. I don't think too many PL naturally have that kind of range. If you could find a breeder who produces bigger running PL's, it would probably work great.

Quick Reply: Gun dog for Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.