Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

raccoon hunting with the bow

Old 10-20-2003, 06:54 PM

Default RE: raccoon hunting with the bow

ONLY COON HUNTING I DO IS WITH MY COONHOUNDS 4 WALKERS THEY GET THE JOB DONE. THEY ARE SLOBER MOUTH TREE DOGS . PILE UP THE COONS THIS YEAR.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve always wanted to take one with my bow too. The only problem is I have no need to shoot one. The only time I' ve ever shot one was during the summer at about 2pm in the afternoon. He was hanging around a playground while kids were there.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt want to eat a raccoon myself but if i were to hunt one (would find out if legal out here or not) i would keep the fur and such. We have alot of food charity places out here so i would donate the meat to them.[:-]

If they dont like the taste of it at least i' ll know not to eat any myself
Old 11-15-2003, 08:03 PM

oh cmon guys....coons taste great....

ive eaten it like 12 different times and im only 18yrs old. all ya gotta do is roast it in a pan on a rack (same thing as u would with a goose or other greasy animal) thats the only way ive ever had it and its really good...

ive also heard of ppl boiling it and then putting some sort of batter on it and pan frying it....but if ya really dont like a little grease then ive also heard of ppl that boil it until its 3/4 cooked and then cooking it the rest of the way on a BBQ covered in BBQ sauce....i really wanna ty that way

the way i see it is as long as it eats stuff in the wild (no garbage) then its good

ive eaten many things that ppl wouldnt try that turned out to be great so....

SOOOO DONT KNOCK IT TILL U TRY IT
Old 11-17-2003, 10:12 AM

Hitting a coon with a bow sounds like a great time! Never coon hunted so I have nothing to contribute, but good luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:58 PM

Here is one way you could try! We coon hunt with a caller and a lot of times when we are calling a creek or area where there are old barns or (non-den trees) around we will hear them running all over on the ground and they will run up " never trees" (never going to get away) you should have a pretty decent chance at a shot from fairly close range.. be ready though cause they don' t stay still very long....

Minaska Outdoors
www.minaskaoutdoors.com
Old 11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only problem with shooting them in a tree is that my arrows are 100$$ a dozen and my broadheads are about 10$$ a piece, that is like 20$$ per arrow. i shoot a matthews LX at 70 lbs. it is around 315 feet per second. i am 17 and cannot afford to be losing arrows. i cannot have dogs since my mom and brother are allergic to dogs. i am going to bait soon.