Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MAD Raccoon

Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Default MAD Raccoon

Ok I was just wondering if any one has ever had this happen to them.

I was walking to my stand this morning and as I walked into the corn field I hear something to my right. When I looked there was 4 raccoons about 10 yards from me the big one started to squall and ran AT ME!!! well at this point all I could think was this is going to hurt then thought its a small animal (with a mouth fullSharp Teeth)and then I stomped my foot and yelled WOW! The coon stop arched it back and started growling well from past experiences this means its Pissed OFF!!!. Well I nocked and arrow and tried to stomp again and this seemed do no more then infuriate it. and once again it ran at me so I drew and shot missing of course do to the fact that it was dark. (I think I might have messed my self at this point.) but this did detour it and it stopped aging this time at like 5 yards so I then decided that a football punt and run was apropeate if it came at me one more time and after about what seemed like a 10 min stalemate it turned and ran away. I have never seen this beforefrom a raccoon that wasn’t cornered. so that was the start of my morning hunt. And ended with not seeing anything else. [:@]
Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MAD Raccoon

Be careful! Racoons are very well known to carry rabies. I'd either leave them alone or learn to shoot instinctive.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Sounds like a protecting momma or a very sick racoon but either way if you backed off it would have or make the 2nd shot count. There has been a population explotion of racoons in the mid west and nothing is really lowering their numbers other than cars.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, watch for those disease carrying vermin![:'(]
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always check my tree top before climbing into my stand. Trust me, I would be the guy you readgetting a racoon attached to his face lol. I walked up on one a few years ago in broad daylight, which is weird, as they are mostly nocturnal. Concerned me a bit as it looked a little scraggly. He just stared at me and we both turned and went our ways.

Shane