Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

raccoon hunting with the bow

Old 10-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default raccoon hunting with the bow

i want to shoot a raccoon with my bow really bad. what techniques can i use to get one within shooting distance of my stand. i saw one last week and missed as it ran bye full tilt. it wouldnt stop. i was thinking of baiting like they did when we went bear hunting, since everyday i saw raccoons trying to take the bear bait. any ideas?? also, what type of heads should i use on my bow?? regular broadheads?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:47 PM

Default RE: raccoon hunting with the bow

I' d say just bait it if you know they come to it...as long as it is all legal in your state. Do whatever works, whatever' s ethical, and whatever' s lawful. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: KoBear

i want to shoot a raccoon with my bow really bad.
Why? Just for the Hell of it, or what??
Old 10-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you want to shoot one? What are you going to do with the fur afterwards, please don' t waste it. Are you legal to shoot one without buy any additional licenses?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone eat raccoons? I would get one mounted but I don' t think I could bring myself to eat one.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I have tried it, yuk. They are really greasy and don' t taste good.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

the reason i want to shoot one is that i want to tan the hide. i shot a fox last year, but have never met a person in jersey who has shot a coon. and it' s something special to do it with the bow. i would never, ever, EVER let an animal go to waste. i want its fur and its skull and maybe some meat for a stew or something. i dunno. does anyone eat them??? any recipes??
Old 10-19-2003, 01:15 AM

I COON HUNT ALL OVER THE STATES. THE BEST WAY TO GET THEM COMING TO ONE SPOT IS WITH SARDENS OR TUNA FISH. NOW IT WILL BE EARLY IN THE MORN. OR RIGHT AT DARK BEFORE YOU WILL SEE THEM. MAKE SURE HE IS DEAD BEFORE YOU GRAB HIM. THEY WILL EAT YOU UP....TRY DOGS. I HAVE 2 DOGS I HUNT ABOUT 5 NITES A WEEK ,EVERY TIME I GO I SEE AT LEAST 3 OR 4.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 PM

KoBear,
I share your desire to get a coon with a bow. I' ve been wanting to try it, but I haven' t seen any coons around. I' ve heard calling is pretty effective..haven' t tried it yet though. Maybe I' ll try the sardine-bait thing.

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

i suggest you wait to shoot a coon until it gets cold........... there fur won' t stay together it will just fall out.......... Wait till it snows or gets real cold for a few weeks so they have had a chance to grow their winter coats and there prime. But i took want to shoot a coon with my bow............ People hear shoot them with there feild points???????? is that bad i have never done it so i dunno if they die soon or what.....

Quick Reply: raccoon hunting with the bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.