Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help with raccoon!

Old 11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help with raccoon!

I have a co-worker that needs some help getting rid of a raccoon that comes into her garage at night. She has asked me to help. Here is the problem. It comes in through the cat door and so do the cats. So I can't use a trap (that I know of) because of the cats. Also she lives in a fairly populated section, so waiting up for it and shooting it is out of the question. Are there any snare traps or anthing that I can set up that will catch a raccon and not the cats? She's tried live traps and can't catch the raccoon.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help with raccoon!

you could use a live trap and use peanut butter for the bait, i'm not sure if the cats will eat it but the coons sure will, plus they are very courious witch helps, i've trapped a bunch for a friend of mine and i have not caught any cats. best of luck
Old 11-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the trap information. She's tried the "have a heart" live traps and only seems to catch her cats.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:11 PM
killa-deer

a good air rifle should take care it of a raccon with a very lillte bit of nosie, i shot a raccon the was attack my dog a nice shot between the eyes took him down,i got a 177. cal

Old 11-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot it with a .22 short. I've killed many cats inside my garage using .22 short and i had no problems...same noise as a high powered air gun. But have a backup weapon handy in case the coon doesn't go down right away and comes at you. Ideal situation would be to shoot it with .22 short and have someone backing you up with a shotgun in case it charges.

Remember: COONS ARE THE PRIMARY VECTOR FOR RABIES IN MOST AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. So do not screw around with it. If push comes to shove blast it will extreme prejudice by the best means possible.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 AM

have her use a have a heart trap with just about anything in it for bait and have her put a little fox or coyote around and the cats won't come near it but it won't bother the racoon one bit.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:10 AM

sorry that was a little fox or coyote urine
Old 11-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Like I said in the original post a rifle, even air, is out of the question. My backstop is someones front door! She's put all kinds of stuff in the live traps... Cat food, fish, peanut butter, different fruits, and some rotten stuff she found in the back of her fridge. I looking for idea that don't envolve rifles, air rifles or live traps. There might not be an answer, just looking to see if someone has tried something that I can't think of.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

try to have her keep the cats inside the house for a couple nights and see if the bait works. If that doesn't work or she can't do it, maybe try some coon scent lure/urine/whatever?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:25 PM

If you are trying to keep the cats away from the traps , then why would you put cat food in the traps???? Duh........

Joe

Quick Reply: Help with raccoon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.