Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Just starting

Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Just starting

Hey yall. I have never been hunting before but have always wanted to. I'm only 15 so driving places to go hunting is out of the question which leaves me with my backyard and the woods behind my house. I want to start with small game- squirrels and rabbits. I don't have the money for a real rifle so for now I'll just use a pellet gun (gamo big cat?). What kind of license(s) will I need to get? Where can I go to check game laws for times, seasons, etc. (I live in maryland)? Any advice for a new comer? And please don't accuse me of just wanting to get into the sport to kill things. I get that every time I try to ask people for help and it's starting to offend me.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just starting

Good for you. You're never to old or to young to start hunting. Once you get it in your blood, you'll soon learn that hunting is more than killing and the joys of learning and experiencing all things out of doors is worth more than any one and all video games can ever give you. Here's a link, go down to your state and you'll find the contact info. for your state's wildlife resource. You need to contact them and get yourself enrolled in a hunter safety class before doing any hunting. The hunting safety class will not only teach you proper hunting ethics and safetybut will get you started in the right direction. It might even get youin contact with an adult leader that could get you out away from your back yard for more hunting opportunitys, as there are often youth hunting opps. that you otherwisewould not know about.

Good luck and I hope you learn to enjoy the out-of-doors and hunting.
http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/statefishgame.asp
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Good for you Scott, What ever you do, be safe, go by the laws, and dont shoot your eye out sonny. Good luck have fun.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Fork Horn

since you are under 16 you shouldnt need any licenses, and you will have to check the regs to make sure that you can use your pellet gun (which should be ok) pretty much all hunting that you can do takes place in fall and winter with a few exceptions. welcome to a life long addiction my friend and good luck
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this state, if you're under 16, you still need a hunting license. I can't beleive that there are any states that don't require all hunters to have a license of some sort to hunt any game animals?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Indiana any hunter under 18 needs a youth hunting license. Just go to Wal-mart or a sporting goods stor. they should be able to tell you if and what kind of license you would need. welcome to hunting and the forum.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Illinois also, you need a hunter ed. sert. a lic. and dont let yourself get into trouble becouse of not knowing the laws oe your state.