Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just starting

Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default just starting

Im interested in muzzle loading but i really dont know much. can anyone suggest a good starter gun and if i should buy things seperatly or in a starter kit. thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Default RE: just starting

If you're on a budget, CVA Wolf. If you can afford a few more bucks, CVA Optima. You're also better off just buying the rifle by itself. The kits suck. Just shop around and handle each muzzleloader you're interested in and decide. Where are you from and what do you plan on hunting?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you interested in really getting into the traditional side of the sport or are the inline rifles more in your sight? Be sure to know what rifles are legal in your state, also have an idea of what you want the rifle to do. For instance, if you're going to shoot extreme long distances, then sabots are probably a good idea. If 100 yards and under, about anything will take care of you.

What rifle to purchase will depend on how serious you want to get into this sport. Something to just get you into the sport could be found in the CVA, Traditions, New Frontier, even some of the more expensive models can be found on auction sites NIB for a very reasonable price. On the Auction sites look for rifles like the Wolverine, Disc, Black Diamond, and see if they fit into your price restrictions. Also, don't be afraid of some of the hammer striker model rifles out there. They have been on the market working perfect a lot longer then some of the break open models. I do not own a break open type rifle.

As for starter kits.. I hate to recommend a starter kit. Only because the things they sell you are for the rifle they sell. There are ways around a lot of that but then if you know nothing about them, a starter kit will get you shooting.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: snedd162

Im interested in muzzle loading but i really dont know much. can anyone suggest a good starter gun and if i should buy things seperatly or in a starter kit. thanks
Almost any modern muzzleloader is OK for a starter gun, then if you likeand "get into" the sport you can buy a better gun. My son was 16 when we bought our first MLers, we bought Knight Disc for about $300. You can get a good gun for $200.

For how to select a good ML please read the
"Selecting and Buying a Muzzleloader" from here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/select_muzzleloader.htm

For bullet selection:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/EditorsView.html

Another thought is to buy a good used gun, there are several here that sound like good values:
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

especially >>any<< TC firearm. They fix any problems no questions asked is the word on the "forum". I have an Omega and a TC FL and I like them both.

For powder, start with pellets since your new, but then go to loose since it is cheaper, better iginition and you can load 80g no problem.

Oh, for a good ML booking buy and read this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873419510/qid=1114882877/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-8867395-7390420?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Best to also have a friend show you the ropes of MLing, someone who is "into it".

I wish you the very best in learning and loving this sport as so many of us do, please also bring your buddies into it. It is fun and great learning experience, a lot like bow hunter only further yardage.

Chap Gleason Va
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, snedd
I am new to ML myself (just started the past 6 months)and it is only slightly less addictive than reloading.
You will find yourself oohing and ahhing over little things like a spinjag or nipple pick.
Prepare yourself.

EDIT- Like Cayugad said, determine which type of ML you are more interested in,... modern or traditional , and go from there.
I wanted a ML bad and almost settled for a modern inline because of the price, but held out and got a traditional sidelock. I am very happy with it and even happier I didn't settle.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcawful
You will find yourself oohing and ahhing over little things like a spinjag or nipple pick.
It is the simple thing in life that bring joy in the morning.
Chap Gleason
Old 04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't that the truth Chap? I'm like a little kid when the gunshop gets a new shipment of powder, primers or caps.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcawful

Ain't that the truth Chap? I'm like a little kid when the gunshop gets a new shipment of powder, primers or caps.
It is good to have joy over simple things, because your learning and growing, not just sitting in front of a TV, getting old and waiting to meet your maker. Fun and learning is good, and the excitement of discovery.
Chap Gleason
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

sorry i didnt specify. im planning to hunt whitetail and maybe some black bear. the max shot is only about 75yds and i was thinking of a more modern ML.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: snedd162

sorry i didnt specify. im planning to hunt whitetail and maybe some black bear. the max shot is only about 75yds and i was thinking of a more modern ML.
I see your from NY, I hunt with a ML in Shotgun season in Stuben County NY. I recommend you buy a good inline with a scope since you then can use it in Shotgun season. I have a 3x9 bushnell elite on my Thompson Center Omega, which is a good gun for about $350.The scope is about $200. The mountsand rings about another $80. Powder is$25 for 100 50gpellets, which is what you should start off with since your just learing. Bullets are about $1 each.You can get a $200 gun a $75 scope and do just as well,powder bullets etc are same no matter what bullet your shooting. Go to loose powder after you get some experience shooting. Do NOT buy a 45 caliber, since there are fewer bullets fewer of everything for shooting them. Stay with a 50 caliber inline. Read the links I gave you above to help in your decision on what brand of inline to buy.Ask Shills (Steve Hills)some good shops near you, he is from Rochester and a distributor of MLer and hunting stuff. He is very knowledgable. You can buy on gunbroker.com. I bought a TCFlintlock back in Jan 06 for hunting in Penna FL season, paid $300 for a $550 gun. The gun was in beautiful shape and with MLers you don't have to have the Federal Firearms dealer number to ship the gun to you, so you can get something pretty good. Also WilliamGunsite company (they make peep sights and open sights for all types of guns) has seveal good MLer on their used page. Knight Disc is a good rifle, TC Black Diamond is a goodrifle. Remington 700 ML is a good rifle. Savage 10ML for $395 is an excellent Smokeless powder ML all set up for you, with SS barrell--oh and you can shoot smokeless in NY--I checked the rules alread, since I hunt in Va, NY and Pa. If I didn't have aSavage on order I would buy that. I hope I haveconfused you with too many choices, I know when I was buying a gun I went with the recommendation of the store ownerwhere I live, my first gun was a Knight Disc. I still have it and it is an excellent gun. If you have a friend that is into MLing, buy what he has since he will have knowledge of loads and bullets that will help you in your selection. I strong recommend you buy a good book, since this is just a complex as archery.Get a manual with a used gun, most are online.
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: just starting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.