Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just starting

Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Just starting

Hey, I'm only 13, but I just started using a bow can anyone give me tips on what to do or anything?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just starting

Welcome to the forum.......
There's just sooooooooooooo much to learn that it would be very hard to compile a list of generic 'Tips".
My suggestion to you, is to come up with a list of questions regarding whatever you want to know, then check the 'Search' feature in the upper corner of the screen.
Pretty much every accessory and bow and topic has been covered so your answers might be sitting there just waiting to be read.

Pay attention to what's going on in here, we have many very experienced bowhunters, and practice with that bow until you know it inside and out!
Old 08-23-2004, 03:40 PM

I'm speaking from experience (although a little older...)

Make sure you take the time to visit a local shop and get properly fitted, instructed on shooting techniques and educated on all of the gadgets that come with this awesome sport. Also, more importantly, do a few push-ups and some arm stretches before your practice sessions. I haven't been able to shoot in 2 weeks due to a severely sore shoulder...I didn't stretch and found out I had "weak" shooting form. I can't wait to start hitting those groups again!

Welcome aboard! You should find a lot of cool bowhunters here with a lot of helpful advice...
Old 08-23-2004, 06:52 PM

bmw lover,
I started archery around your age. One thing is dont get discouraged good shooting takes time to develop.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 PM

First, welcome to the sport and the boards!

I am helping my 13 year old step son learn to shoot and he is having a blast (as am I!). My first suggestion would be to find someone, a friend or family member, that shoots themselves. Having someone "show" you is alot better than someone "telling" you, imo.

It is very important that you have your equipment sized to your needs and that you begin to learn the correct way to shoot. I taught myself how to shoot when I was about your age and had no one to give me advice or show me the way (was also long before computers and the Internet!). I really struggled along without having the right guidance.

Where do you live? Find a local pro shop or archery range and make some new friends!

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum! Ditto on what every one else has sead! And if there is any thing i can do to help i`ll give it a try and if i don`t` know the answer to some of your questions i know there are people here that do and is willing to help any way they can. Good luck hunting bmwlover0725.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot almost every day! Some times shoot at your local Pro-shop, while there just simply ask some of the other shooter "Got any tips for a new bowhunter?" There won't be a person there who won't give you a few suggestions, and then ask a few questions. Reading this forum sure doesn't hurt either.

I gotta say this also........Practice Practice and then Practice some more! Practice from the elavation your stand will be, and with your full clothing you'll be wearing, even in the cold season! Know your range limit and then follow it! Remember shooting 30 yards at a dot on the range, and shooting at a live deer in the woods in low light is very very differant! Practice shooting at the last 5 minutes of legal shooting time. Personally.....I think the reason most new people miss their first few deer are shooting to far and mis-judging distance. (misjudging distance is huge, you have to be right!)

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM

Welcome bmwlover! I am pretty new to the sport myself and really am loving it. I'm about 10 years older than you and am wondering why I waited so long to get started. The guys and gals here on this forum can/will be a really big help, so keep checking it out. As for this
(misjudging distance is huge, you have to be right!)
it is absolutely true. If you find you have trouble with this, I would suggest a pendulum sight until you get it down pat. And just my 2 cents on the pendulum, they are great for hunting but are not an excuse for slackness. Do the drills, learn to estimate yardage, and practice practice practice! Oh, don't forget to have fun and share it with a friend! Good Luck