Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Weather And Temperature?? Could it be the reason for no luck??? >

Weather And Temperature?? Could it be the reason for no luck???

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Weather And Temperature?? Could it be the reason for no luck???

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Weather And Temperature?? Could it be the reason for no luck???

I'm in Southern Oregon, along it being mountainous and treed heavily the weather is warm. Recently it reaches 65 to 70 degrees! Would this put the coyotes down??? How do I hunt them in this weather and will it effect them.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Weather And Temperature?? Could it be the reason for no luck???

Right now is just a bad time of the year. I went from seeing 7+ coyotes a day on the weekends to maybe just 1 or 2. Breeding season is here and most have found a nice hole to hang out in for the next couple of months.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The warmer it gets, the less they got to eat. So yes warmer temps will have effects on calling coyotes. This time of year, try more coyote vocals and less distress sounds and plan on sitting longer than you normally would, because when they do come, they will most likely come slower than when it's dang cold and they're hungry.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

It may not be as good as when it"s real cold, but you can get alot of action even in the warm weather. This time of year the middle of the day can be even better than low light times. Just keep after them, stay on stand longer, and pile"em high.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM

In warmer weather I try to hunt closer to a good water source. Lets face it, they drink alot in warm / hot weather. Just watch a domestic dog sometime to see how often they go to water and you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes get a lot of thier "water" needs from the foods that they eat. Obviously this time of year it's harder for them to find fruits, but coyotes will eat watermelon, cantelope, cactus seed pods, and when they are eating other animals, the moisture from that food source will also tide them over for water. And if there is snow on the ground, there's another water source that they will use.
Coyotes live in the dessert and are often found many miles from a water source. Think about this also, during the middle of winter when all the water sources are frozen over, they still survive without an open water source.
I guess what I'm getting at, is that an open water source isn't really a necassity for a coyote to survive.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Ya know what really rubs my fur the wrong way, is the coyote that WAS getting into my tomatoes. I had three big boy plants, he would
'nt eat them before thet got ripe, but soon as they would get red, look out. I live in a subdivison, can"t realy shoot a gun. He found the sharp end of an aluminum arrow to the neck,,, much to my wifes dipleasure just shows they are able to survive and eat anything they can to get what thay need.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

yip, vegetables are good enough for a coyote. A coyote that we shot two seasons ago, left one last pile of scat in his death bed and it was solid field corn! It was no wonder he came to the distress call with such enthuziasam, he was hoping for a warm blood filled meal for a change.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

I live in South Carolina, so we don't get much in the way of frozen creeks, ponds,or whatever. It gets downright HOT here in late spring and summer, plus we have had drought conditions the last two to three years (anyone who saw the Bass Masters Classic on lake Hartwell could see our drought conditions). Those coyotesmight not behaving a tough time gettin water where you folks live, but they have been frequenting the limited water sources whereI'm at. I'm no expert by any means, but dead yotes tell a tale. I set up on a small creek where there were only a few pools of water standing, and I killed three in four days just a settin there. I'll put out a few tomatoes just to increase my odds a bit next time though !! ... Good hunting ... SHOTARYE
Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well you know , some times you have to improvise. If you have these drought conditions, thats a good choice on your part. When life gives you lemons...........!Just like the reason that coyotes are all over the country now, we to have to adapt from time to time. If hunting water puts more dogs on the endgate, hunt water!!!