Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 temperature meat >

temperature meat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

temperature meat

Old 10-23-2004, 05:45 PM

Default temperature meat

What is the warmest temperature i could leave a deer hang over night. I usually only have time to hunt in the evening and no check-in stations are open and my only option would be to hang it up over night.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:48 PM

Default RE: temperature meat

I don't know Bobby. If it was 40 or cooler, I'd let it hang. But since we don't get that cool for awhile down here, alot of of us quarter it and throw it in ice.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:42 PM

I've always gone with 42 degrees or better. Not sure if there is any science in there or if that number was just passed down to me. I feel like a Google wait a min....

This came up first from the Purdue University Animal Sciences, I think they should qualify.

Storing Uncooked Meat
Meat should be stored at a low temperature to help preserve its quality and prevent the growth of illness causing bacteria. Chilling meat to below 40° F is recommended. Meat can be chilled or frozen. In order to freeze meat, you must drop the temperature below 28° F.

There we go!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:59 PM

Around here,, if we are faced with that problem, we can call a local game warden and they will help you out,, either by coming to you or meeting you to check it, or maybe he can chesk it over the phone somhow.. Id call the local game warden, and explain that its too hot to hang it.. In Missouri we have to check the animal whole,, and it cant be quartered,, so id check before cutting it up.BTW congratulations!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have any game bags?? Here in Oregon we shoot deer in 90 deg.+ weather and all we do is skin the deer and hang it in a deer bag in the shade the the meet gets a crust on it the flys will not get into the bag and there is lot of air flow. it will be fine that way for a few days. if you neet to hang it longer run to home depot and get 6 mil plastic, go out to the beer fridge in the shop and hang the deer in frount of the door and tape plastic around the open fridge this works great. Hope that help rich
Old 10-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

I took one the other night and it was around 50 degreese all night while I let it hang.In the morning (around 6:am)I threw her in my truck and put ice in the cavity and four lawn leaf bags of ice on the entire body till 3:30 after work.It was fine.BTW you should have seen all the yuppies faces as I pulled out from work that was one heck of a blood trail.