Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Temperature

Old 08-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Temperature

Does temperature affect a bows velocity? I notice that when I practice when it's real warm out my arrows tend to hit a bit low. Is there less snap to the limbs when they are warm? Another question.I shoot a Bowtech Pro 40 dually. My birth certificate says 321 fps at 29" (70 lbs) I have changed modules to 28" to accomodate a string loop. My arrows are 400 grains. What kind of velocity should I be getting? I don't have a chronograph.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Temperature

I'm not an expert by any means, but I had asimilar problem last fall. Arrowsweren't grouping well as the temperature fell. After re-tuning the bow and contacting PSE, I realized thatI was the cause ofthe problem, not the bow.

As the temperature dropped,I tended to be a little stiffer in my stance,causing the loose groups. After understanding what was going on, I was able to correct the problem.

Maybe in the warm weather you arechanging your formor shifting your anchor point?Hope you can fix the problem.

-Rick C.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:31 PM

When the temp falls your arrows will act stiffer than when it is warm. Normally I have to give my bow 1/2 turn on the limb bolts to get my bareshaft to fly with field tips.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM

I would think that air density would change things a bit. I mean, let's talk baseball a second. Coors Field in CO has homers knocked out of there all the time because the air is thinner. I can't see why the same priciple couldn't be applied to arrows. More humidity = more wind resistance.