Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Temperature

Old 04-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Turkey Temperature

This is my first Turkey season and am new to hunting in general. I've just gone with friends who's land we hunt on and they know it all. Well this time I'm goin with my dad whos a deer hunter but its his first turkey season too. We're clueless as to how cold is to cold for turkey hunting(as in when they aren't active). So...how cold is to cold? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Temperature

honestly im not to sure but from what i have been seeing around here its in the 30s right now and we got snow last night and the birds are still out strutting and stuff so id say the 30s deffintly arent to cold and on some videos ive seen they can see there breath and still have gotten turkeys well good luck i hope you get one tukrey hunting is like nothing else
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being from Texas, it doesn't get really, really cold during spring turkey season. I would assume that if it is really cold, they are going to be on the look-out for food. I would position myself where they would get food. Is there a open field somewhere around you with some sorta grain on it? With a few decoys and some light yelping, you should see some action...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM

I killed a tom in SD last year and it was snowing. The lows for the days was 9-10 degrees and the highs were mid 30's. The birds were active all day. Gobbling mostly in the am. Saw lots of activity...

I live in NC and the birds here are more aclimated to warmer temps. But, I went out to see what was around during a cold snap (lows in the high 20's) and they were active as the SD birds were. I kinda think it doesn't matter to them. If it were bitter then maybe they would get in places out of the wind etc.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Spike

On Sat. April 7th during the Wisconsin youth hunt it was 16 degrees with light snow, my son and I saw a total of 13 legal birds between 6 and 8a.m. This included 5 strutting toms. No shot presented but he connected that evening with one of a group of 3 toms. Dress warm and get out there!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 AM

its never to cold