Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

A LITTLE COYOTE HELP?

Old 01-26-2003, 10:03 AM

Default A LITTLE COYOTE HELP?

Howdy all,I hope at this time you are found to have filled all of your tags and memory storage of great hunts of past! my question is this. I am relitively new at coyote hunting. Although I have been a avid deer, pheasant, grouse, bear, fox, squirrel and rabbit hunter for several years now ( approx. 18 ) I have yet to bag a coyote. my choice of guns range from .17 - .416 ( maybe a little big for coyotes') I do use my tactical 308 as my weapon of choice and i have all of the precautionary extra's like scent lock, cover sprays camo etc.,etc.. I do not have a call!! Does anybody have any suggestions on a particular call they have used, and meathod they use it in! looking to have my best year yet and the coyote will sure help do that! any suggestion would be greatly appreiciated and more than likely employed good luck gys and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 01:44 PM

Default RE: A LITTLE COYOTE HELP?

I've been recently hooked by the bug myself. I've only been out for coyotes 3 times, and second time out called one up. What I did was used an e-caller with distress sounds, and over top of that I used a call from lohman's called "the Howler". Like I said, I'm new to this too, but it worked. I'm from Pa too, hunting Washington Co, how about yourself?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

you say you have every thing but a call,this means your just sitting there waiting for one to happen by??? well son let me tell ya, you might wait along time.waiting out coyote is a loosing battle at best. first off go to this place www.allpredatorcalls.com and check out all the calls availible.this site has a large(the largest i have found)selection of calls by different manufactorers to choose from.all i can say is there realy isn't any call thats better then the other,its a matter of personal preference and any of them will call in predators.if your in a place with cold temps you will need at least one open reed call for freeze up purposes.my personal feeling is "you can never have to many calls" so don't be affraid to buy several or many different calls over time.this way you will find the ones you like and have confidence in.you will also need a howler call,a howler is a very important part of coyote hunting but its also the hardest to learn and the most misunderstood aspect of calling coyotes.for this reason i say pick up "a how to hunt coyote" tape or video and learn all the different vocalizations and what they mean and when to use them,all it takes is the wrong vocalization made by you and the hunt is over.i have 3 howlers,one by ej-sceery thats very old and has fallin victom to slober rot and 2 by quaker boy.the two by quaker boy are the ones i use these days and they seem to work good,one is a deeper voiced call while the other is much higher pitched.both have there uses and times when they are needed.as far as my distress calls i have many,at least 20.they all work but none of them work all the time.i have calls by:johnny stewart,ej-sceery,lohmann,burnhamm bros,denise kirk,olt,penn woods,quaker boy and maybe more.i recently aquired the verminators,tweety and thumper and although i have not had a chance to try them out(wind is killing us here)i am very impressed with them, the ease of use and how they sound.without even calling in a critter with them yet,i will recomend either or both of these calls.thumper is the deeper more jack rabbit sounding call.there both open reed calls also.i also use diaphram calls somtimes that work very well.i have one diaphram thats for howling only and the rest are my turkey calls that double as predator calls.i don't believe its nessesary that you buy as many calls as i have over the last 20 years but it dosn't hurt to have a veriety of calls in you arsonal.i have on more them one occation gone thru all my calls in a day(or night) of hunting looking for the one those little buggers want to hear.a howler that commands a look at is the red desert howler.although a little pricy ,from what i have heard its a very nice and effective howler.and regarless of what distress calls and howler you buy,PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!!!!!!!and then when your done practicing......PRACTICE SOME MORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:36 PM

nightmare,you have them right in your back yard.One of the guys from Springdale sportmans club got one that went 51 lbs, and he is getting it mounted $550.00.He got it in deer season,not to far from were they want to build the mall off route 28 in Frazer township.I have seen tracks in that area and heard them yipping a couple of times when i was calling,no shooting yet.I would do what coyoteseeker said,also you have to do a lot of scouting,and with the snow it makes it a lot easier,you have find out were they are,and see if you can pattern them. The best time to hunt is at daybreak,and towards evening.I'll give you a couple web sites that might help you out,this first one will give information on the coyote,and picture of the tracks and the dopping.http://www.nationaltrappers.com/Coyote.html I couldn't get it to hyperlink on the web site,so here is the other one, www.hunting pa.com go into the message boards and you'll find all the topics for hunting in Pa,this should help you get a better idea what your getting into.