Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

25WSSM?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 25WSSM?

I know a few of you guys in here have ARs chambered for the 25WSSM. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this cartridge. I am thinking about trading off one of my 243s (Tikka with 3500rds thru the tube), and getting a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in it.

This would be a long walk deer/antelope gun, and I'm sure I'd use it to bust 'yotes.

I'd like to hear how you guys like its performance on coyotes (fur damage?), and bigger game if you've harvested any with it.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 25WSSM?

I've killed a half a dozen with mine and have been really impressed; it's definately an improvement over the small calibersfor my application. There will be some sizable holes if you use the factory ammo offerings (Ballistic Tips) but I'm looking forward to developing a hollowpoint in the near future.

Here's a clip that shows the common reaction of a coyote to the 25wssm pushing a 90 grainer.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/jrbhunter/Predators/?action=view&current=NoseyFlop.flv

Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jrbhunter - Thanks for the info, I like the way that doggy flopped! I end up buying a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker the other day in 25WSSM. I topped it off with Leupold rings/bases, and a Zeiss 3-9x40. I am shooting 115gr factory Combined Technology BTs for the time being. I shot a doe this evening at a lasered 429 yards. It left about a nickel sized hole going in, and a quarter sized hole going out. She ran about 100 yards after the shot (right towards me), the deer were in a valley and I was on a hill and they didn't know where the shot came from. Upon gutting her I found a puddle where the lungs shoulda been, the heart was MIA, and the liver was tore up pretty bad as well (quartering towards me slightly.) I'm definately impressed with it so far. I've shot it a grand total of 10 shots now.

Do you have any loading info for Sierra or Hornady bullets? Nosler has all their info published on their website, and I haven't found any other load data yet. I'd like to work up a 75gr HP for coyotes as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have got to admit that yote vid was pretty impresive but what kind of hole did it leave. If its not to much trouble send me some pics of some yotes you have killed with the 25. I would like to see them
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Bigbuck, check out this link for a few more pictures and video clips of the 25 in action.

http://midwestpredator.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6041018811/m/5581026552

Rammer, I don't have any of the reloading data yet but the guy who built my rifle (MPH Moderator Dtech) is going to supply me with the equipment and data later this month to begin loading for the rifle. We have a few 25WSSM experts on the Midwest Predator board, including one guy shooting a Browning A-Bolt like your new toy. I just pick their brain anytime I need ballistics, loading or trajectory information.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Oops, also the exit wound on the coyote from that video clip was roughly 2 inches in diameter. Pretty consistant with all other coyotes shot at 75-225 yards. The 25 yarders are pretty nasty though.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jrb - I'll go check out that site and do some reading on there. I just shot my buck this evening with my 25WSSM. Shot the buck at 175 yards, it managed to make it about 50-60 yards before piling up. There was absolutely nothing left of the lungs, just a pile of gel in there. I can't figure out why I can't anchor a deer in its tracks with this gun. Out of all the deer I've shot with my 243, I'm not sure if any have taken more than a step or 2, with the majority tipping right over.

But, now that I am done rifle hunting deer, coyotes better watch out. I will be trying this out on dogs here, especially now that we got 6" of snow today!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Fork Horn

The 25WSSMand 243 are different animals... it's no lack of power that's leaving the deer on their feet. Either shot placement or bullet selection are making that difference on dropping deer; but certainly not any power loss.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jrb - I can't figure it out. I am using 95gr Combined Technology out of my 243s, and 115gr Combined Tecnhology on the 25. I think I may load up some 100gr Ballistic Tips to try out of the 25. Shot placement doesn't change on any deer I shoot. I almost always intentionally shoulder punch them, if I don't do that I double lung 'em all.