Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Questions about coyote hunting

Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Questions about coyote hunting

SC doesn't allow lights while hunting coyote's at night unless using dogs for treeing or corning. Would I still be able to be successful on a full moon night. Also,SC doesn't allow more than a 22 rim fire when its not deer season. Any suggestions on rifles brand and cal.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about coyote hunting

On a full moon night and full ground coverage of snow, it would still be risky business. My biggest concern would be how well you can identify the target, without an additional light source.
When limited to rimfire, I'd choose the .22 mag. It has a little more retained energy with the larger bullets when compared to the .17hmr. Keep all shots 100 yards or less.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

When I call when,how, and what calling should I use at night
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer hand calls, BUT I don't call at night and I call mostly wide open spaces, as in no trees and very little cover. IF I were to get into night calling, I'd probably prefer an Ecaller of some type. That way the critter wouldn't be sneakin' up from behind me and jumping on me without me seeing it coming. Plus, by the getting the sound away from you, you can set it up to the upwind side of your location, which will help keep them from getting downwind of you.

Like I said, while calling at night you will need to be very careful about making positive ID of your target before pulling the trigger. I'd hate to see ya shoot your neighbors dog or some other un-intended target. Even with a light, making a positive IDcan sometimes be tricky.
I'd also choose a shotgun with buck shot if I were to call thick stuff at night. Much easier to hit the close, possibly moving,target.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

If you can use a shotgun, that is all that I would take.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

deerhunter729
The .22 rim fire rule is only on the WMA's before deer season, private lands you can use anything.
the moon doesn't help us in the south, not enough light to make possitive ID (DOG/YOTE) even in
the open fields, got to have snow to help reflect the light.

Here in the south hunt during the day with good remote call and decoy, pastures that have
small patches of brush are thebest IMO. Hay fields that have bales in them work good to,
use bale as blind and keep as much of the woods in front you as you can, watch the brush line
real closeyoteswill try and work alongthem to get advantage before coming out in the open.

Nowas for gun, if you think you can getyotes within 60 yards use shot gun with #2 or #00 buck shot
over 60 yards then a small center fire rifle like .22 hornet, .222, .223, .204 ruger, ect, ect up to a .243
with fast expanding bullets. brand of gun is what ever you prefer rem, ruger, sako, savage, ect, ect
they all make good ones.

What part of SC you in?
I'm in the Cross Anchor area.
hope this helpsand good luck. rem250