Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes) >

Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes)

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes)

Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes)

I live in Shenandoah County Virginia and plan to start hunting Coyotes after deer season is out. I have been reading/researching how to hunt Coyotes but would like some advise from some experieced Coyote hunters. A local hunting supply dealer is going to bring in a Coyote expert from PA. for the second time to teach the locals how to hunt them. I plan on attending this one. Here are some questions that I have.

1. What kind of calls should I use and for each what is the distance that these calls range? Electronic calls or manual calls?

2. I will be hunting possibly with an Encore 7mm-08 but possibly a 30-30 over 20 gauge. I will probably be hunting in the woods possibly small fields but should I hunt in a stand?

3. Any dangers I should look out for besides not falling out of a treestand or making sure not to tie a wounded rabbit to my back?

4. Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Coyote hunting Newbie
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes)

1. What kind of calls should I use and for each what is the distance that these calls range? Electronic calls or manual calls?
I would recommend starting with mouth calls, unless you want to shell out some $$$ for a quality electronic unit. Mouth calls are easy to use, and if you set up right, you can enjoy just as much success.

Range depends on what you are hunting in and the type of call. In open grasslands with some calls, coyotes can hear you from over 1,000 yards away if the wind isn't blowing. As wind and/or brush increases, the effective range may be 200 yards or less.

2. I will be hunting possibly with an Encore 7mm-08 but possibly a 30-30 over 20 gauge. I will probably be hunting in the woods possibly small fields but should I hunt in a stand?
I've never had a lot of success with a mouth call in a stand. It muffles your call, affects your volume, and deflects your sound. Of course, most stands around here are enclosed. If you have an open treestand, I wouldn't hestitate to get in it and call. Especially with a wounded woodpecker call.

3. Any dangers I should look out for besides not falling out of a treestand or making sure not to tie a wounded rabbit to my back?
All predators come to calls. Not just coyotes. I called up amountain lion WAY TOO close one time because I wasn't paying close attention to what was behind me and I didn't know we had any. Hogs, bobcats, coons, and badgers also come to calls. Getting too close to any of them can be hazardous. And if you are on public land, keep an eye out for other idiots in the woods.

4. Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Wind is very important. Your sound travels better downwind, but so does your scent. I set up where I can see downwind further than I think my scent is travelling. Most coyotes will approach from downwind, so I want to set up my shot so I can shoot them before they smell me. However, that is most, but not all. Coyotes can come from any direction, so be prepared. And keep your gun up and ready for when they appear. You want to be able to get the shot off as quickly as possible without having to move quickly or move very much. They come in quickly and don't stay for long. Same for foxes. Most foxes never stop, either, trotting into the call, making a few tight circles, and trotting away. Both will usually be there within 10 minutes if they are in the area, but I have had some take as long as 45 minutes to appear.

Other predators, such as bobcats, move very slowly. If you want to call one of them in, most of the time they take 30 minutes or longer. Instead of trotting, they creep a little while, then stop and stare. Then they creep a little further, then stop and stare. Theycreep from bush to bush, sneaking up on their quarry.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM

North Texan, thanks for you input. You answered a lot of questions that I had. I will be hunting in a portable stand along fields that are near or at the base of a moutain. I also have some ladder stands (open) that I will maybe use in the woods. I have been looking at the FoxPro electronic call but I also want to learn the mouth calls. I will be hunting on all private land. It is possible that I will be hunting on public but the season on public land where I'm from is from September 1 - March. On private land it is open season all year round.

I have not yet found a lot of land to hunt coyotes beside our family's 240 acres. I noticed that you mentioned that if coyotes are in the area they will come in quick and not stay for long. I have heard that people call for a short period of time and if nothing comes in they move on. I had planned on staying from about mid-afternoon until dark in my stand. What do you recommend? Again thanks for your input.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The smaller the area, the longer I stay. My goal when I begin is to hunt the entire area. Sometimes that area may only have 2-3 spots I plan on hunting, so there's no need to get into a rush. Sometimes the area I'm hunting has 15-20 spots I'd like to try, so I have to speed things up if I want to get in all of them. But I never leave a spot before 25-30 minutes have passed unless the conditions warrant it (shift in the wind, rain, lightning). If I think I've got a good shot at a bobcat, I may stay 45 minutes to an hour.

During some of thecontests around here, some callers move about every 10 minutes. They are trying to cover huge areas and hit as many spots as possible, and the odds of a coyote coming in decreases as time passes. But they will miss some predators, because some will still be responding to the calls when they leave.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks again for your reply. Sounds like I will be doing a lot of moving around unlike hunting deer. I have a job that allows me to work 2pm-12pm Sunday through Wednesday. I can still go to church on Sunday and hunt Coyotes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 AM
RJH

north texan gave you good advice the only thing I could add is predatormasters forum, lots of good guys.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM

I have been to predatormasters forum and read some useful information. I'm trying to learn all I can before I start hunting them. I'm looking to get a .223 barrell (maybe a Heavy barrell) for my Encore. I found out just today that a coyote expert from PA is coming down to my town for two days to talk to the local hunters about hunting coyotes. They are starting to become a problem in our area. This will be his second appearence to our area. The next thing on my list is to find a fur buyer or taxidermist that will skin etc. I just need to find out what I'm going to do after I kill a coyote. I want to put them to use the best way I know how.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
RJH

I just skinned my first one on monday it is not that bad but took a while I'm sure I will get better on the next one. I wish I had someone coming near me to speak I would go to that for sure.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:10 AM

In my time hutning yotes, I have never used a treestand. You mentioned about one, and my advice, try without one. You fill get more out of your hunt that way, just my two cents. Second, mouth calls are the way to go. All my hunts, depending on the region, I use either 2 or 3 rabbit calls, usually cottontail, and 1-2 jackrabbit. I have used in the past when yote are in close, a mouth sqeaker and a crow call. Decoys are a great way to get some curious yotes in closer, and if you can work with your mouth calls, then you can see some rewarding call-ins.

All in all, you want to make sure you follow these guidlines so you can have a successful hunt- patience, camo clothes, correct caliber of rifle or a finely tuned bow, wind usage, mouth calls( not knocking down electronics, but mouth calls are important to learn), and did I say patience. Do not get discouraged if you are doing everything right, and a yote does not make his/her way to you. Location is very important, and that can be easily decided on by scouting ahead of time. Oh ya, be prepared to hike anywhere. I usually stalk my coyotes, and don't rely on just sitting in one place. That is my preference, and others may say different, but I am up to 127 yotes this year, and I am going to go out before the year is up. good luck
Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy, Coyotestalker. Haven't seen you around in a while.

Quick Reply: Coyote Hunting Questions (New to Hunting Yotes)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.