Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Questions about coyote hunting...

Old 02-05-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Questions about coyote hunting...

any help or advice would be great...

i am considering getting into coyote hunting to earn some extra $$$ (and get some extra hunting time too) and need info or directions to info....we have lots of coyotes here and nobody is hunting them....need info on/about good calibers, where to sell the pelts (green or tanned), what is a fair price for the pelt, calls (scents?), etc, etc.....?

i am have never done any predator hunting so any and all info is more than welcome....

thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about coyote hunting...

well first i jus started yote hunting too. i went out and bought a new gun its a 223 savage. it works great. a taxidermist told me to use winchester 45 jhp holopoints because they put a small hole in and then explode leavin no exit would and take em down very very well. i bought 2 calls. a howler and a mouse squeeker. i would recomend getting a rabbit in distress call since that is what most people tell me to use and use the howler as a last resort in an area. coyote pelts around here are i think 25 bucks for the hole coyote and 60 for it skinned. thats bout all i know. and p.s. one thing every one told me is make sure ur camoed up realy good. they are realy smart also be ready before u start callin they may jump right out infront of u. hope that helps. heres an awesom website that has forums on it too. www.predatormasters.com
Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the link and info.

It really helps...I am thinking of using my Winchester (94-22) for this with a scope...

Camo is not a problen...got killer camo and a good ground blind as well...(I am all over the scent concealment thing too....
Old 02-13-2004, 09:18 PM

I am bumping this to the top....I really need some help....I don't want to start hunting coyotes without having someone to sell the pelts or whole coyotes to...info desparetly needed...directions on where to look for buyers, info. on any aspect of this type of hunting, etc, etc....
Old 02-15-2004, 11:17 PM

Michael,

Have you asked your questions on the Predator Masters link posted above? That site specializes in nothing but predator hunting. Someone there would surely be able to help you.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Michael,

I'm in the same situation -- a 'yote newbie. I do not even own a rifle yet. What I was planning on doing, but haven't done yet, is to hit the Yellow pages, calling all the taxidermists I can find to see if they buy pelts, or know anyone who does. Then, I'll have to find someone to teach me the right way to skin them.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:46 PM

if i get a coyote where would i go to sell the pelt??? do i have a limited time before i get it there??? do they buy the whole coyote or just the pelt???
Old 02-16-2004, 06:58 PM

I looked at it for a minute or 2 about a week and a half ago (and saved the page to my 'favorites') but since my youngest daughter was in the hospitol for this last week I didn't have time to really check it out....plus this is usually the ONLY site that i need to try when looking for info on just about anything....

I am completely suprised at the lack of response and info that has been given (minus, of course, the one post with a website reference).....

What is up with that? I thought that this is the forum for predator hunting/trapping/etc.....[:@]
Old 02-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Varmint Al's website, too:

http://www.varmintal.com/

He lives reasonably close to your area, so his info should be very relevant to the terrain you'd be hunting. Maybe if you contacted him he'd even agree to get together and give you some pointers firsthand. Might be worth emailing him and asking him. He's got a lot of good info on his site too.

Mike
Old 02-16-2004, 09:11 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

The answer is to call your local taxidermists for fur prices and how they buy them. It's that simple. The "how to's" of successful calling can come from many sources... tag along with experienced callers, read a book, watch a video, check out some websites, etc

Try this...Bark at the Moon Coyote Club

Quick Reply: Questions about coyote hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.