Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment >

Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

OK, I want to get some coyote hunting in as the population is taking a sharp upturn in the area I grew up in and around the family farms.

I have a Remington 700 22-250 Bolt action that I would probably use. Purchased it for varmit hunting when younger, is this caliber adiquate for Coyotes?

I was also looking to pick up a Primos Raspy Coaxer to get started on the cheaper side of things. (I'm not looking to buy an expensive electronic deal)

Any other equipment needed other than cover scent, and maybe a spot light. (Ohio you can hunt at night if you have white light that can be seen for 1/2 mile or something like that)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

The 22-250 is a good start. Personally, I am a .308 guy, but that is a whole different story and opinion. I would advise to purchase a couple other calls just to shake things up a bit. Cover scent is good, but I would really read the weather, especially the wind factor. Makes all the difference with calls, scent and position for the harvest. I would also offer the advice to be patient in the hunt, and don't get discouraged if you can't bag a yote the first couple of times. A decoy will help lure them in if the don't like your calls by themselves. Also, concealment is very much the key when ambushing yotes. I always like bringing some patterned burlap on top of my camo. It helps with the whole outline of the setup. Other than that, go out there, be very careful at night, and definately try scouting areas for tracks, carcasses, and evidence of possible prey for the yotes. Oh, and welcome to the way of the predation hunt....It sucks you in, if you are patient enough.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

Search through this forum and you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

A lot of people use 22-250's for coyote hunting. Most .22 caliber centerfires make ideal varmint rigs. As for the call, I'd get a couple. A rabbit distress, a woodpecker distress, and a coaxer/sqeaker. Use the louder distress calls to get their attention, but have a sqeaker on standbye in case they hang up and you need to draw them in a little further.

If you plan on night hunting, you'll need a spotlight. Don't overkill on the spotlight. Something in the 100,000 to 200,000 CP range with a red lens should work great, even for weary coyotes. Don't shine directly on them as they come in. Keep the fringe of the light on them until you are ready to shoot.

I don't normally use cover scents, but if a cottontail or jackrabbit is handy when I'm about to go out, I may take one and rub the fur on my clothes, boots, and gun. I may also take him to the first set and pitch him downwind.