HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment
Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Coyotestalker

Default RE: Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

The 22-250 is a good start. Personally, I am a .308 guy, but that is a whole different story and opinion. I would advise to purchase a couple other calls just to shake things up a bit. Cover scent is good, but I would really read the weather, especially the wind factor. Makes all the difference with calls, scent and position for the harvest. I would also offer the advice to be patient in the hunt, and don't get discouraged if you can't bag a yote the first couple of times. A decoy will help lure them in if the don't like your calls by themselves. Also, concealment is very much the key when ambushing yotes. I always like bringing some patterned burlap on top of my camo. It helps with the whole outline of the setup. Other than that, go out there, be very careful at night, and definately try scouting areas for tracks, carcasses, and evidence of possible prey for the yotes. Oh, and welcome to the way of the predation hunt....It sucks you in, if you are patient enough.