Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I want to start coyote hunting???

Old 12-07-2004, 12:58 PM

Default I want to start coyote hunting???

I want to start coyote hunting this winter? Winter is a good time right?
What do i need ? Where do i get it ? Tell me the basics?????
Old 12-07-2004, 01:09 PM

Default RE: I want to start coyote hunting???

please help me
Old 12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i was you, i would go and buy a randy anderson video. His new one he has out for primos is excelent. You will need some calls. Like a rabbit in distress call and a howler. The prices range from all over the place. I am a big primos fan, so thats really all the calls i have. I know they make great calls. There is a video that Primos makes that comes with two calls. It lays down the basics. Also if you watn to spen 15-20 dollars on a mouth call the Hot-Dog, Ky-Yi, Lil Dog are great calls.

I would scout the area that you are going to hunt first for any sighns. If you know that they are in the area, just find a nice place to sit down (like against a tree) and start blowing on the rabbit in distress calls. Use that for about 10-15 minoutes, and if nothing comes blow ont he howler for about the same time. Then if nothing comes, move to a different spot.

As for a firearm. I would use nothing bigger than a .243, and nothing smaller than a .22 mag. Shotguns work well to. Use some buckshot. Winter is a good time to hunt them. I usually hunt them throughout the day in winter, and in the spring, fall, summer, i hunt in the moring and in the afternoon

I am sure that there are people out there that can give you better info, but this is what i do and it works for me. So experiement a little and find out what works best for you.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've never been calling before, you really do need to see and HEAR how it's done. Start with a good video, any of Randy Anderson's are good including the Verminator video, I like his second one best, even better than Primos. When you watch the video, listen to the rythm of the sounds that they use. Then get your self a couple of cheap closed reed calls, most on the market will work just fine. I'd leave the howler alone for now, it's too easy to muff things up with a howler for a beginner. Use some good camo, learn how to call, keep the wind in your favor no matter how much scent blocker clothing you have, be ready, be still for 15 - 20 minutes.
It's easier to call them in than it is to kill them.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:43 PM

The advise I have is I would get a .22-250 for yotes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any centerfire cartridge, like your .270WSM, will work unless you plan on keeping the hides. I don't, since I just hunt for fun/predator control. I use a Circe triple tone predator. It's easy to use and has all three calls I need in one. I watched a couple of videos and then went out with someone on a hunt. After that, I just went out on my own, usually right after sunrise and before sunset, and started calling. The first time or two I went out, I didn't see a thing. Then the next time I called one in. Then two on the next trip. I tried to learn from my mistakes and get a little experience under my belt. You'll get better every time you go out because you'll make mistakes on one trip, and remember not to do the same thing on the next.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 PM

Well Buck, You are more than welcome to come tag along with us on one of our SE Oklahoma coyote hunts this winter if you want to see how it is done. The advice given to you by the above people is good stuff. Good hunting to you.

Greg