HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment
Old 01-30-2006, 08:02 PM
North Texan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking to Start Coyote Hunting - Input on Equipment

Search through this forum and you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

A lot of people use 22-250's for coyote hunting. Most .22 caliber centerfires make ideal varmint rigs. As for the call, I'd get a couple. A rabbit distress, a woodpecker distress, and a coaxer/sqeaker. Use the louder distress calls to get their attention, but have a sqeaker on standbye in case they hang up and you need to draw them in a little further.

If you plan on night hunting, you'll need a spotlight. Don't overkill on the spotlight. Something in the 100,000 to 200,000 CP range with a red lens should work great, even for weary coyotes. Don't shine directly on them as they come in. Keep the fringe of the light on them until you are ready to shoot.

I don't normally use cover scents, but if a cottontail or jackrabbit is handy when I'm about to go out, I may take one and rub the fur on my clothes, boots, and gun. I may also take him to the first set and pitch him downwind.