Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

As Much Input As Poss On Hunting Hog

Old 10-25-2004, 11:22 PM

Default As Much Input As Poss On Hunting Hog

Okay, here's the deal. I've spent over 13 years in the military. I've stalked what I thought were the toughest targets known to man. That is, until I tried to stalking wild hog. I've been hunting in an area were the hog sign couldn't be thicker. I'm talking bedding, rooting, tracks (that lead back to private property), rubs, and wallows all within a 100 sq yd area. I seeded the area with everything from fruit and corn to dog food and have maintained a position for 48 hours...talk about cramps. I've used military grade sent stopper and trust me when I tell you, I couldn't be more well hidden...a 4 point almost stepped on me (damn deer season!) After I finally decided it was time for a shower and a hot meal (I'm getting older and these things are nice) I left the woods only to return the next day and find all of the bait gone and a plethra of fresh sign. If that had only happened once I would chuck it up to bad timing....BUT THREE TIMES!!!

Any suggestions on how to deal with these "Combat Trained" hoggs would be welcomed with opened arms and a bottle of Jack.

SSG Martin
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Default RE: As Much Input As Poss On Hunting Hog

most of the time hogs are nocturnal.they also have a lot better since of smell than any two deer.there eyesite is marginal,but the nose is out of this world.the first light and last light is best.
You said you put out feed.if you will get an automitic feeder and put corn in it.the hogs will get acustome to the noise the feeder makes when it put out.just as soon as they hear that noise they come running.also you my move close to the private property or to there bedding area.get on there travle route,rather than there feeding site.you will have to be ready on the travle route,they travle in a hog trote,hardly ever stop.if they do you have to shoot fast.
Give that a try and see how it works.......hope this helps.an old hog hunter.