Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Do they exist?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have to ask, what facts to you have to back up your theory on which scopes are good?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing nobody has brought up is whether or not the op is actually sighting in at the same distance from time to time. There can be a big difference in clicks if the yardage is only 85 yards compared to 115 instead of a steady 100 yards that most big game scopes are rated at for their click adjustment system.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jacob Garrett
Is there a scope on the market that the click adjustments actually move the right amout, will hold up on a 30-06 for years, will stay put once adjusted, you can see thru at dawn and dusk, nice clear glass, ect. I just want one that works right overall. I have tried a few and have been disappointed. Seems like I have to get a new scope every 1-2 years and I am tired of buying them. I am looking for a good scope that you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy. I am looking to stay under $600 or so. 3-9x40 or a 4-12x40. Any suggestions?

Also NO Leupolds! I have had 3 of them over the years. Two VX-II and one VX-III and they are lousy. For the money I had rather have a Tasco.
HUMMM I have eight Leupolds VXII & VXIII and all are excellent sharp clear great at dusk and dawn and some are over twenty five years old and still great. CAN'T HELP YA some tings are un fixable.I need to up grade may VXII 2-7x33 on my 270win to a VXIII 2.5-8 I will use the 2-7 as a pair with my VXIII 1.5-5 on my 358win with QD rings.

Last edited by TJEN; 11-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

" I know the ammo changes the POI but the scope won't move the POI consistently. If you click it 4 clicks it might move anywhere from 1/4in to 2in with the 4 clicks instead of 1in like its supposed to. "

In order to get a scope to work perfectly as you describe then you also need it to be on a rifle that is MORE accurate than your adjustments. You are probably experiencing such disappointment with your scopes because you are expecting 1/4moa adjustments from guns or shooters that shoot 2 or 3 moa. The best you can hope for is to be shooting groups of 5 and then determining the center of the group and adjusting from there. But expecting to walk bullets across your target at 1/4 moa angle increments when the gun isn't a 1/4moa gun and the shooter isn't a 1/4 moa shooter is a sure recipe for disapointment. I don't think there is a scope in the world that would satisfy someone like you and certainly not on whatever gun you are using. ( If your gun and you are 1.5 moa shooters and thus can shoot a bullet somewhere within a 1.5 inch circle at 100yds how do you know the next 1/4 moa adjustment didn't worked if its still within the same circle?) Still trying to figure out how you determined none of the scopes work right. Maybe a little more info on your shooting procedure would help everyone get you a better response. Take care.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

WOW! Whole post turned into a pissing match! I don't want another Leupold and the Leupold loyalists came out of the wood work. I had just as soon spend $50 on a cheap Tasco than buy another Leupold. I think there WAY over priced. I use the same distance each time I shoot and all of the scopes I have owned have been 1/4in or 1/8in per click. I just hope one day I can be as all knowing about everything scope related as a couple of you that have yet to make a useful post in this thread.

I appreciate all the useful info and suggestions from the ones that didn't hijack this thread. Thanks. To the rest of you mabey y'all should try acting like adults. It's not that hard.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Haha! Two more useless posts. This one and the one above it!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what you're expecting to get out of this thread, you've been given lots of good advice!! Go buy something, other then Loopy, that has been recommended here!!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

DDMPrecision I think you misunderstood my post. I know the ammo changes the POI but the scope won't move the POI consistently. If you click it 4 clicks it might move anywhere from 1/4in to 2in with the 4 clicks instead of 1in like its supposed to.
In truth, in all my years of shooting, I've never come across something such as the issues you're having with your leupold.
As I mentioned, I'd be happy to buy it from you so you can go get something that you'd like better.

I say this because in my own experience, the only things that I have ever had knock my leupold scopes out of zero was airline baggage handlers and my ex-wife tossing my rifle case around like a sack of potatoes.
Hence, she's my EX.

One other thing I would check is the bolt lugs, and how they mesh onto the chamber lugs. A black sharpie does the trick - blacken the lug locking surfaces with the sharpie, then cycle the bolt ONCE.
The majority of the ink should be gone, indicating where the two faces touch.
If there's still a lot of ink on one of them, then you have bolt issues that should be easily resolved by lapping the lugs.
Bolt face flex might cause similar conditions to what you've described, too.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 AM
bigcountry

Let me ask you a question then. What have you contributed to? What posts of yours are useful? Or are you here to get and not give?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
So experiences backed by research aren't good enough for you? What would you want a person to do to properly evaluate a product? Just curious?
Probably actually own the products or a varity would be a start.

I mean who would hire a nascar driver that only raced one car but did a lot of research on the internet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.