Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .460 Smith&Wesson Loads? >

.460 Smith&Wesson Loads?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.460 Smith&Wesson Loads?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .460 Smith&Wesson Loads?

This past week I traded in my Taurs Ranging Bull 454 Casull and some archery gear/bow for a brand new .460 Smith&Wesson XVR 8 3/8" barrel along with new dies and 100 rounds of .460 brass. I had the choice between it and the .500 S&W. I went withthe .460for two reasons first the .500 seems just a tad too big for anything but serious knock down hunting power. In talking with other .500 owners, I know it can be downloaded but overallit is nota pistol that you would classify as fun to plink with. On the other handas we know the .460 can shootboth the .454 casull and .45 colt so it should be fun toplink with as well as being able to deliver serious knock down power like the big brother 500.Along the same lines I still have a lot of 454 casull brass, and a few .45 colt brass, as well asdies. And the second reason is that for the most part the .460 is less expensiveto shootthan the .500, the pistols were the same price.So my question to all of you is does anyone here own one and have any favorite handloads that you might be willing to share. Thanks in advance Jason
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: .460 Smith&Wesson Loads?

I have a 10.5 performance center Smith in it. I have shoot the 240gr XTP mag with 48gr of H110. Here are my results at 200 yards. I tried loading the 300gr but it was way too much a handfull for me.

I started at 44gr of H110, and the groups got smaller and smaller. I went up to 49gr but figured back down a grain and save my brass. I am kicking well over 2300fps. Big bang bang for deer.

Bad news for this round is if you ever shoot at the edge of dark, you will go blind with muzzleflash. And I did perm damage to my left ear year before last.

Second thing is its rough on scopes. both the 460 and 500 totally trashes em. You have to mount the scope so one ring touches the back of the bell or adjustment piece.

Third, for some strange reason, I can't get it to shoot 45colts near as well. I have no idea why. But no problem, there are tons of reduced cast loads with unique.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey buddy how is going. Good to hear from you. Still shooting that Browning Gold of my brother in law's?

Anyway thanks for your input, I don't think I am going with a scope. Itried that route with the .454 Casulland thoughI didshoot some good groups (3" and 4" at 100 yards) with it.Overall I didn't like it, itkind of took the fun out of it. I know that sounds strange but it felt more rifle like, (for lack of a better term)with the added weight and bulk of the scope and mounts. I ended up trading theleupold scope and mounts for some new campingequipment at a gun show.Even with outthe scopeI know I could have killed almost any big game animal out to 150 yards. Just last summer in the backcountry of wyoming I was shooting accross a small river (near where we were camped) at a dead tree about100 yards away. I didn't bring a rangefinder on the trip so I don't know for sure. But I feel confident in my guess. Anywayin the middle of the tree was a knot hole about 10"in circumference give or take a inch or so by the way I judged it. I took 3 shots at it and placed all three bullets well within the knot hole. I know that it was not a scientific test inany means, but on the other hand I knowthat had that knot hole been aelk, bear or deer it would have been a dead animal.I have also done the same thing with paper targets at laser ranged distances using open sights out to 150 yards. I can only hope this new pistol it just as accurate using open sights. I too have heard these pistols are pure hell on scopes andover time willthey will break any scope no matter of the manufacture or cost of the scope.So moving on dang you aresmoking the bullets withthose speeds. Idon't think I will go with that light of bullet. I still havehalf a box of hornaday.452 300 grain XTP Mags and so far the only info I have found with this bulletis from Hodgen itself. WithH110starting load of 38 grains is 1825 f/s, with the max loadof 42.5 grains comming in at2030 f/s. For a 300grain .452 bulletthatsflat out moving. I don't need anymore speed then that. If anything I want to move up the ladder in grains and shoot heavier bullets. For fun of it someday Iwill load up some 395 grainers to a max load just to see how much recoil they generate. Hodgen's max loading lists36.5 grains of Lil'gun pushing a 395 grain bulletat 1796 f/s with 8 3/8" barrel.Thats insane and brutal not to mention flat out crazy.But first and formost I want accuracy and if it is fast toothen so be it,and good for me.But I would be happy with a 330-340 grain bullet moving along at 1700 to 1800 f/s which I know is a midpowerload for the 460but it would still kick the crap out of any big bear alive and thats good enough for me.Have you played around much with any ofthe heavier bullets? If so hows the recoil and are they as accurate?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Bad news for this round is if you ever shoot at the edge of dark, you will go blind with muzzleflash. And I did perm damage to my left ear year before last.

Third, for some strange reason, I can't get it to shoot 45colts near as well. I have no idea why. But no problem, there are tons of reduced cast loads with unique.
I believe you about your ear damage, my.454 Ranging Bull was bad enough that I never shot it without some form ofhearing protection. In a emergency sureI would but then and only then, which I hope never happens.

I wonder too if the 45 colts don't fly well becasue they start out the first inch or so flying through air until they make contact with the forcing cone? Don't know just a guess? I will shoot my pistol with all three cartridges and post my results for you and others to read.I'll admit that,to say I am excited about this pistol is a understatement.The past year for mehas been busy, crazy, andvery stressfull, this is nice to have this on my mind instead of worries and stress.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Hey buddy how is going. Good to hear from you. Still shooting that Browning Gold of my brother in law's?
Tell him, I don't leave the house to go to the blind without it. It has taken down I bet 100 birds so far. Probably much more. That was one of my "heck of a deal" guns.

Anyway thanks for your input, I don't think I am going with a scope. Itried that route with the .454 Casulland thoughI didshoot some good groups (3" and 4" at 100 yards) with it.Overall I didn't like it, itkind of took the fun out of it. I know that sounds strange but it felt more rifle like, (for lack of a better term)with the added weight and bulk of the scope and mounts. I ended up trading theleupold scope and mounts for some new campingequipment at a gun show.Even with outthe scopeI know I could have killed almost any big game animal out to 150 yards. Just last summer in the backcountry of wyoming I was shooting accross a small river (near where we were camped) at a dead tree about100 yards away. I didn't bring a rangefinder on the trip so I don't know for sure. But I feel confident in my guess. Anywayin the middle of the tree was a knot hole about 10"in circumference give or take a inch or so by the way I judged it. I took 3 shots at it and placed all three bullets well within the knot hole. I know that it was not a scientific test inany means, but on the other hand I knowthat had that knot hole been aelk, bear or deer it would have been a dead animal.I have also done the same thing with paper targets at laser ranged distances using open sights out to 150 yards. I can only hope this new pistol it just as accurate using open sights. I too have heard these pistols are pure hell on scopes andover time willthey will break any scope no matter of the manufacture or cost of the scope.So moving on dang you aresmoking the bullets withthose speeds. Idon't think I will go with that light of bullet. I still havehalf a box of hornaday.452 300 grain XTP Mags and so far the only info I have found with this bulletis from Hodgen itself. WithH110starting load of 38 grains is 1825 f/s, with the max loadof 42.5 grains comming in at2030 f/s. For a 300grain .452 bulletthatsflat out moving. I don't need anymore speed then that. If anything I want to move up the ladder in grains and shoot heavier bullets. For fun of it someday Iwill load up some 395 grainers to a max load just to see how much recoil they generate. Hodgen's max loading lists36.5 grains of Lil'gun pushing a 395 grain bulletat 1796 f/s with 8 3/8" barrel.Thats insane and brutal not to mention flat out crazy.But first and formost I want accuracy and if it is fast toothen so be it,and good for me.But I would be happy with a 330-340 grain bullet moving along at 1700 to 1800 f/s which I know is a midpowerload for the 460but it would still kick the crap out of any big bear alive and thats good enough for me.Have you played around much with any ofthe heavier bullets? If so hows the recoil and are they as accurate?
I planned on loading down that a bit, but my groups kept swrinking higher I went. Very noticable difference in min and max load.

I think your on the right track about the scope. This year, I had a whole herd of deer come out first light. I heard a buck grunting, and could make out his horns from 70 yards. But for the life of me, couldn't get him in the scope. Maybe my excitement, maybe my inexperience pistol shooting, but I struggled for 2 min trying to find him, and finally gave up when they headed up the hill behind some briars. I have an EOTech halo sight. I think that would be been more practical. Or even good open sites.

You also have to remember I have a 10.5" barrel. And honestly, I don't like it. Way too front heavy. Can be a real struggle shooting open handed. I would like to trade the gun to a smaller barrel, but I have yet to see one shoot this well. The 10.5" barrel gives me that extra velocity. I have played with 300gr XTP's and they flew not as well as 240gr XTP's but very good. I can get 3MOA at 100 yards.

One thing I think hinders the 45colt performance is the gain twist of a regular X frame. The twist is designed for >1600fps. I may be reaching, but from talking with others, I think thats the case. And it is a huge jump to the rifleing.

If you got the brass, then I highly suggest the titegroup, unique, and trailboss reduced loads. I do know folks who have shot extensively with 45colts in 454's and then couldn't chamber a cassull or high pressure. Only solution was to bore out the cylinder. I know its rare to happen, but it happens enough. I am sure these guys shot 1000's of 45colts thru thiers. The ocassional shooting session no big deal

Let me know how your 45colts fly in yours.