Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Smith & Wesson ???'s >

Smith & Wesson ???'s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Smith & Wesson ???'s

Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Smith & Wesson ???'s

I'm looking at a .44mag and one is the 29-10, and the other the 629.
Other than the obvious (grips mostly, 6.5" barrel) what are the differences?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smith & Wesson ???'s

The 629 would be stainless steel, the 29 would be blued. The dash number has to do with the "upgrades" in parts or designs over the years. You can go to a Smith site and find out just exactly what was upgraded and changed with each dash designation. For example the early 29's were pinned and recessed, meaning the barrel was pinned and the cylinder was recessed so the rims of the round were flush with the cylinder. I know a 29-3 is pinned and recessed not sure when they stopped doing that.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM

They are both stainless. I am looking at pic's, but it appears the only obvious difference is one has wood grips, the other hard rubber (the 629). Weird.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

A 29 is not stainless, Smith designates their stainless with the first number being a "6", it might be nickel?? I think the 29-10 were guns made after 1994 but am not sure on that.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

S&W has got more #s than carter has little liver pills .I can't keep up with them either..But I do like the products.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

PM sent on a SS Ruger 44mag? [email protected]
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM

TUCO . . . it is advertised as nickle finish, sorry. And it is a 29-10 according to the site. "Square butt frame"?
But I'm asking about differences in design, guts, feathers, etc.
Is it possible it is a 629, nickle, and a limited run for a distributor? Davidson's?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM

I'd much rather have a 629 than a nickled 29. The nickled finish is only a plating and is subject to chipping or wear. The stainless is the actual metal so there's no coating to wear out or chip off. Other than finish, the 29 and 629 are basicly the same gun.

You'll find either one a smoother actioned gun than a Ruger
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Design and say internal parts used would be no different if they are the same dash number, also do they have the internal lock? I would prefer the stainless to the nickle, but only for looks. A square butt frame is in the grip part of the frame, square or round butt frames. The square butt frame, the grip is a little larger at the bottom. Again not sure when Smith started offering the 29's in both frames. To me though, there is nothing better looking than a 4 inch blued N framed Smith, for some reason they just look right. By the way the "N" frame is what the 29's are, it is just a frame size, but N frames are available in several differet calibers. Go to smith-wessonforum.com, there is a wealth of info there. Like Swampdog said, Smith has more number designations than you can shake a stick at.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
DM

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

PM sent on a SS Ruger 44mag? [email protected]
Hey Mike,

I have to ask... Do you just troll this site to sell things??? I noticed you offer something forsale in most of your post.

When i mentioned i had something forsale one time, and i was directed to the classifieds... and i don't even own a gunshop...

Maybe you pay to advertise... and i never did?

I'm just wondering...

DM

Quick Reply: Smith & Wesson ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.