Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 To crimp or not to crimp? >

To crimp or not to crimp?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

To crimp or not to crimp?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default To crimp or not to crimp?

Gentleman, I have a quick question, I am reloading a batch of 30.06 shells and I am using Hornady 165 GR interlock bullets with a cannelure grove, would it give me any more accuracy not to crimp this bullet? I have always used these bullets with a slight crimpand they are pretty accurate but can I squeeze a little more accuracy by not crimping? By the way this is for a bolt action rifle. Thx for all your help.
Doug
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To crimp or not to crimp?

I never crimp rifle cartridges. The only reason I can see crimping handload rifle ammo is if they're going in a tubular magazine. So I wouldn't do it.

Mike

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only reasons you would need to crimp rifle ammo is like DR said tube magazines or heavy recoiling cartridges.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I load for a good many cartridges, and never crimp regardless if there is a cannelure or not. The only exception is for my 45/70 Marlin 1895. Heavy recoil in a tubular magazine.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes - and I do mean sometimes, crimping will improve accuracy. Theory is that it allows for a more consistant starting pressure.
I've found that the Lee factory crimp die puts a nice crimp on a bottleneck cartridge like the '06. They are about $8 so its not like it will break you. Try it and see if it helps. It isn't a necessity however.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Spike

I crimp for my 06...i dont target shoot much with it, but it has spent alot of time in the woods, and were the gun goes, the ammo follows..I know ai probably dont need to per say, but crimping gives me that peace of mind that the bullet is not going anywhere till i make it...and not by droping it out of the truck....as far as accuracy goes, im shooting teeny tiny groups with it, if they got much smaller i would be really impressed...