Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Best week for PA archery >

Best week for PA archery

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Best week for PA archery

Old 08-04-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Best week for PA archery

Ok, here we are again. Beginning of August, sending for doe tags, shooting as much as possible, getting pumped for the season opener, and trying to figure out when to take vacation.

What is everyones favorite days or week to hunt. I was thinking the first week in November. What are your thoughts or plans?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: Best week for PA archery

I like nov. 7 thru the 15th
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be hanging off of the side of a tree from before dawn to after dusk the last week of November. It's been a good week for me in past years....no reason to think it won't continue to be.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

whenever fall turkey starts seems to be.....but im really not out there before hten being i dont bow hunt lol.....but ive seen more bigger bucks on the first day of fall turkey then any other.....one day alone me and dad had 3 that would all been on the wall within bow range.....there we were..shotguns and turkey calls in our hands.....fun to watch.....neat how the kinda let their gaurd down and sniffed our trails and walked rught up to us and one i swear got so close to dad my dad had to scare it away before it attacked him or something....it followed dads trail RIGHT to the tree he was sitting at and got to where my dads feet were stopped and starred right at my dad..when it started moving its head dad jumped at it to scare it off.....dont know what it was thinking......think thats called the rut but im not really sure! lol
Old 08-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a doe for the freezer, the first week at summer feeding areas. If you're looking for a big buck, the last week of the season.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

We always hunt the entire last week of bow season and have had mixed results depending on the stage of the rut. We just believe it gives us the best chance to hit part of or all of a rut stage. We hunt every weekend of the season and having hunted PA for 20 some years I have always liked the week that Holloween falls in, that weekend seems to always produce more deer sightings or activity. I think it may be the pre-rut kicking in.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:56 AM

1st week, last week, and week of muzzleloader.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st week and the last 2 weeks once the rut kicks in. Any time in between there my deer sightings are down. but i'm still out there trying the whole season. U never know when ol' mister buck will come by!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking I'll probably take a few days the 1st week to whack some does, and then from oct 29th to the end of the season I'll probably take a lot of time off. Not exactly sure which days yet.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 PM

That depends. If you want a couple days of deer being in their normal late summer routine, you should hunt the first few days of the archery season on field edges. If you prefer hunting rubs or scrapes, get out there around Oct 25 til Nov 10. Both of the above hunting methods are easily hunted because the bucks are somewhat predictable. Now, if you want the bucks scurrying after nearly every doe in the woods with no rhyme or reason as to how they are traveling, hunt the chase phase about a week before peak rut (Nov 15). You're going to see a lot of deer but the trick here is being in the right place.
As for my favorite day/week....it's any time I can get out there.