Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 best week for CO. elk archery hunt? >

best week for CO. elk archery hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

best week for CO. elk archery hunt?

Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 AM

Default best week for CO. elk archery hunt?

This year I am hopefully going to be archery elkhunting in CO. unit 12. I have always hunted opening week of archery season. The elk are talking a little then but I would like to hunt when they are really in the rut. Is the last week of the season a better week for this? How does the muzzleloader season effect hunting? I would really appreciated any help or experiences anyone has had in the different weeks!! Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM

Default RE: best week for CO. elk archery hunt?

My favorite September dates are from about the 10th toabout the 17th or 18th. I hunt all month long, but it seems these dates are usually when the Elk are getting all steamed up and just before they actually have their harems assembled. They are active before, but more hesitant. And certainly very active after, but much harder to get them away from their cows. So for me anyway, the perfect time in the woods is 10th to 18th. That certainly can vary depending on climactic conditions like drought and/or early snows. Don't know about muzzle season. But it would stand to reason that by that time, more activity in the woods means more bashfull critters. Harder to find.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Any weeks that I'm not there! It seems like the elk disappear whenever I go to CO to hunt.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 PM

I hunt unit 441 almost every year and I can defenitely tell you that the first few days are good. The elk are a little off guard due to not being chased by hunters in awhile. Once they wise up, they quiet up until they really start rutting hard. We hunt for the first 11 days and then let the orange army come in and screw it all up. We wait until the puffers leave and then get back in the day after their season ends. The elk are very quiet until about the last 4 days of the season. Then just depending where you are and if you are into the elk. Hold on, it will get nutty.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

My favorite September dates are from about the 10th toabout the 17th or 18th. I hunt all month long, but it seems these dates are usually when the Elk are getting all steamed up and just before they actually have their harems assembled. They are active before, but more hesitant. And certainly very active after, but much harder to get them away from their cows. So for me anyway, the perfect time in the woods is 10th to 18th. That certainly can vary depending on climactic conditions like drought and/or early snows. Don't know about muzzle season. But it would stand to reason that by that time, more activity in the woods means more bashfull critters. Harder to find.
We hunted through these dates last September(10-20?). The Elk were still very high up. 1200 elevation. It was still very warm. We were in the San Juan mountains outside of Durango. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Spike

Default secluded cabin rental

Keith,

I have a private cabin I rent in GMU 12 in the Flat Tops, surrounded on three sides by the Routt National Forest. If you are interested in more information please visit my website or call me: www.wildskies.com 970.926.0216.

Lisa
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Spike

Colorado does not have a best time. Dont under any circumstance support a state that wants to take away our second amendment rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE! OR YOUR STATE WILL BE NEXT.
Besides that, they close their bow season before the rut gets good.
Go to Idaho. Great hunting, less pressure and better bulls over the counter!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mtbohnr
Colorado does not have a best time. Dont under any circumstance support a state that wants to take away our second amendment rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE! OR YOUR STATE WILL BE NEXT.
Besides that, they close their bow season before the rut gets good.
Go to Idaho. Great hunting, less pressure and better bulls over the counter!
You really don't know what you're talking about.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Spike

How do you mean Pete?
I hunted Colorado for many years before I moved to MT. If I am not mistaken Co. closes its archery season around the 20th, just when they are really starting to fire up.
After that, I have nothing against anyone in Co. except those who are trying to take away your second amendment rights. Co. is a beautiful state with lots of great elk hunting. I just dont like those who wish to take your rights away and I hate to see people giving money to those who wish to do so.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mtbohnr
How do you mean Pete?
I hunted Colorado for many years before I moved to MT. If I am not mistaken Co. closes its archery season around the 20th, just when they are really starting to fire up.
After that, I have nothing against anyone in Co. except those who are trying to take away your second amendment rights. Co. is a beautiful state with lots of great elk hunting. I just dont like those who wish to take your rights away and I hate to see people giving money to those who wish to do so.
You have a much better chance of hunting the rut in archery and muzzleloader seasons that 2nd rifle. 1st rifle has a good chance of catching the rut, but not always.

To say the rut is just getting started when bow hunting ends is silly. It's possible for that to happen, but normally the muzzy and bow hunters have a very vocal hunt.

I sure wouldn't depend on the rifle seasons being in the rut every year.

Quick Reply: best week for CO. elk archery hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.