Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Greed wins in PA >

Greed wins in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Greed wins in PA

Old 07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

"As for recruiting I would suggest getting young hunters started on small game"

Sounds good in theory,if only there was some small game left to hunt.The days of flushing a dozen wild birds with a bird dog of half a dozen bunnies with a good beagle are long gone and never to be seen again.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
I don't see what the issue really is here, the traditional bow hunters don't like it? The effective range of a cross bow is in reality no greater than that of a compound. So what's the beef?
one of beefs is most crossbow hunters do to scopes think shooting to 50 yds is ok.i hear it all time everywhere i go, I SHOT AT DOE AT 50 YDS BECAUSE SCOPE HAD 50 YD RANGE.

now, the crossbow hunters that WERE recurve /compound hunters know limits of the crossbows to 30 yds .they are ones that are not the problem,its all these NEW 1 day wonder meat hunters that see a deer and just pull up and shoot not knowing limits.

yes, they outnumber the ones i mentioned 5 to 1,for sure.

crossbow is bringing these type of people out of closets to go about their merry way.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sproulman
one of beefs is most crossbow hunters do to scopes think shooting to 50 yds is ok.i hear it all time everywhere i go, I SHOT AT DOE AT 50 YDS BECAUSE SCOPE HAD 50 YD RANGE.

now, the crossbow hunters that WERE recurve /compound hunters know limits of the crossbows to 30 yds .they are ones that are not the problem,its all these NEW 1 day wonder meat hunters that see a deer and just pull up and shoot not knowing limits.

yes, they outnumber the ones i mentioned 5 to 1,for sure.

crossbow is bringing these type of people out of closets to go about their merry way.
Not true sprouls about yrdage. People watch tournaments on tv. They are shooting 3d targets at 60yrds+ with compound bows. You don't think the generation who was watching that show are not sighting in up to 50 yards + because of what they see on tv? You bet they are. Practice make perfect sproul. If someone can hit a target consitent at 50 yrds then all means go for that 50 yrd shot. And most will who have practiced for that distance.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fellas2
"As for recruiting I would suggest getting young hunters started on small game"

Sounds good in theory,if only there was some small game left to hunt.The days of flushing a dozen wild birds with a bird dog of half a dozen bunnies with a good beagle are long gone and never to be seen again.

In good habitat you’ll find good small game, It’s just like everything else. Wild birds you got grouse and wood**** (doodles), the last two years I’ve been having pretty good flush rates. While I don’t bunny hunt (but want to get out w/ some beagles this year) I have been seeing more and more bunnies as of late. Squirrels, c’mon you can’t go anywhere w/o seeing many of them. I can’t think of a better way to start a kid out then a fall day hunting treerats. Pheasants well , thanks to Delaney and boys if they get a license increase the amount of pheasant stocking will double. A lot of money that could go towards habitat for native animals AND even wild pheasant habitat will be wasted on ditch chickens, but what do you expect your dealing w/ own agendas and not science w/ this crew. It’s all about the kill.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cvtrapper
Not true sprouls about yrdage. People watch tournaments on tv. They are shooting 3d targets at 60yrds+ with compound bows. You don't think the generation who was watching that show are not sighting in up to 50 yards + because of what they see on tv? You bet they are. Practice make perfect sproul. If someone can hit a target consitent at 50 yrds then all means go for that 50 yrd shot. And most will who have practiced for that distance.

All I can say is that you either arent a bowhunter or you have very little experience at it. Any one who thinks that it's ethical to shoot an arrow or a crossbow bolt at a 50 yard deer is a fool.

I shot 3Ds on the national level for over 10 years and have no problem shooting targets at 60+ yards but won't take that shot at a living animal.

My advice when I help a new bowhunter get all set up is to find the maximum distance at which they can hit the vitals on a deer EVERY time and cut that distance in half for real world hunting. I think its best if they stick with that rule till they get some experience and a few bowkills under their belt.

As Sproul said, some guys think long distance shots are OK just cause they have a pin for it. Thats why I strongly advocate mandatory bowhunter ed for new bowhunters especially new crossbow hunters.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Ya'll better hold on to your drawers, because this is gonna shock ya's. But BTB has hit the nail squarely on the head this time around.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

"All I can say is that you either arent a bowhunter or you have very little experience at it. Any one who thinks that it's ethical to shoot an arrow or a crossbow bolt at a 50 yard deer is a fool."

I have to agree. By far most guys simply arent consistent enough at that distance, especially under field conditions. And even those who are on targets, imho, STILL shouldnt be taking those shots unless its at an already hit deer. It takes even the faster bows far too long to get the arrow to the target at that distance. A deer can move a heckuva long ways by the time the arrow arrives wether it be reacting to the shot or simply turning slightly or taking another step.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Holy crap batman! Everyone agreeing here? What's this forum coming too? You all made very good points. And if anyone doubts corn's reply about how much a deer can move by the time the arrow reaches the deer. Just watch Primo's
video. They did A special segment on this. Deer drooping out of the path of the arrow only 10 yds. away.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Here you go. Not my video as I wouldn't hunt at a feeder nor would I whistle at a standing deer before I shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogu7Wedemag

That's EXACTLY why I pick a spot and aim low.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 07-14-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cvtrapper

i have friend in italy that shoots 100yds with crossbow and about 4inch circle group.he is big game hunter too,shoots all those zebra and other safari critters.he would never take shot over 40 yds max on critter and mostly 30 yds is his max.noise/energy of crossbow /arrow IS NOT VERY GOOD VRS A COMPOUND WITH LONGER ARROWS.

this is why most seasoned archery hunters are staying with compound bows, less noise,more energy in arrow and second shot possible.non seasoned 1 day year hunter is going the crossbow route excluding the disabled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.