Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA residents, does this bother you? >

PA residents, does this bother you?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA residents, does this bother you?

Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA residents, does this bother you?

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

It's not that hard to figure out. Residents get first crack, in some areas the allocation is sold out before non residents even get a chance. Then non residents get their opportunity. After that it's first come first served. Seems fair to me. If that second round application is sent in on time then from inside the state the mail system should get it to Harrisburg before coming from out of state.
According to a postal service worker I know, mailfrom some metropolitan areas in other states could well get to Harrisburg before mail from Rural PA. With todays mail procedures, the USPS is very reliavble. Since it is based on a first come basis on a certain arrival date, mailing could be figured from almost anywhere to arrive on the proper day with reasonable certainty.

As best I can tell from your DNR website, your home state seems to have no limits on antlerless deer. Therefore the scenario I laid out above can't happen to you. IE: I can't get a license that might keep you from getting onefor your home state. That also seems to be the case in Ohio. Your perspective might be a bit different if thesituation existed in your home state where my getting a tag might prevent you from getting one
Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that most people from outside of PA do not realize the demand that comes from having 800,000 licensed hunters. (formerly nearly 1 million!!!!)
A good bit of what we experience in PA would be foreign to them.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that most people from outside of PA do not realize the demand that comes from having 800,000 licensed hunters. (formerly nearly 1 million!!!!)
In 2006 we had 945,892 licensed hunters which is down from the almost 1.3 M hunters we had in the early 80's. Don't you ever check the accuracy of the stuff you post?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm talking PA residents (roughly), not sales in total.
Do me a favor and go check the particulars, and report back to me with the specifics, OK?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 2006 there were only around 59,000 non-resident licenses issued so I have no idea why anyone would be worried about non-residents getting a second doe tag.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

So there are approx (qualifier) 900,000?
I stand corrected, but then again...how much has it decreased since '06?
Go look and report back to me OK?
I will revise my post when you get that report to me.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

It's not that hard to figure out. Residents get first crack, in some areas the allocation is sold out before non residents even get a chance. Then non residents get their opportunity. After that it's first come first served. Seems fair to me. If that second round application is sent in on time then from inside the state the mail system should get it to Harrisburg before coming from out of state.
According to a postal service worker I know, mailfrom some metropolitan areas in other states could well get to Harrisburg before mail from Rural PA. With todays mail procedures, the USPS is very reliavble. Since it is based on a first come basis on a certain arrival date, mailing could be figured from almost anywhere to arrive on the proper day with reasonable certainty.

As best I can tell from your DNR website, your home state seems to have no limits on antlerless deer. Therefore the scenario I laid out above can't happen to you. IE: I can't get a license that might keep you from getting onefor your home state. That also seems to be the case in Ohio. Your perspective might be a bit different if thesituation existed in your home state where my getting a tag might prevent you from getting one
How do you figure that the resident is going to lose out on an opportunity to get a doe tag when residents have a two week head start state wide in the first place. It's this kind of greed that is driving the license fees up for everyone. While your at it why don't you check on how big the disparity is between available public hunting land between PA and the People's Republic. I don't hunt NJ because I got tired of getting to my spot before sunup and then as soon as you can see you look one way and see orange every hundred yards or so. Then have some idiot glassing you through his scoped muzzleloader. If it wasn't for us non residents paying the higher license fees how much do you think your licenses would be costing you.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yea, I'd also add that in PA your buck tag turns into an any deer tag in the flintlock season.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TWOWITHONE

It depends on how you look at it. Right now WMU-2-G is sold out, a non resident who owns a camp and pays taxes up there aint got a shot at a doe tag. The same thing happened last yr in WMU 2-F gone in 4 days and 2-Gs gone in 3 days.
I can get with this train of thought. Personally, the only way that I am upset is if I don't get my fair shot at my first tag. AFter that its called a BONUS.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Spike

To me it is no different than me living,hunting and owning my camp in 2G and some one from anywhere other than 2G gets a tag and I don't. It's just the luck of the draw. Last year I got tag number 23459. Not sure if i was the 23,459 person out of 26,000 tags or that is just a number my courthouse got. I am curious to see if I get a tag this year as they sold out the first week. BTW, the two camps near mine are one from Ohio and one from Pittsburgh. I feel they have every right I do to hunt for does on that piece of mountain. I get a lot more opportunity to hunt the Bucks in archery so I figure they should get something out of the deal. JMHO.