Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hunting New Hampshire >

Hunting New Hampshire

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting New Hampshire

Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting New Hampshire

Anyone hunt near Durham, NH? I'll be spending the next six hunting seasons up there while I'm attending the University of New Hampshire to get my BS and MS in Environmental Engineering, so I'm looking for any advice I can get on hunting up there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Steven
Old 06-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting New Hampshire

Steve,

I have never hunted that area but I do hunt NH. I live in MA...you should have much trouble finding somewhere to get in and hunt. NH is a beautiful place, enjoy your time there. Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Just go for a ride one day and you should find some place that you can hunt.

Jim
Old 06-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Jim.

My biggest problem I am facing right now is the fact that I can't takea car up with me the first year. Which means all of my hunting must be done bydriving outwith somebody else, or within biking distance of the campus. UNH has 2500 acres of forestland, some very close to the campus, so biking is a possibility, but I still face the issue of what to do with anything that I do kill.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

I don’t hunt over that way but have read & heard that until M has a high number of deer in it. I doubt you’ll have any trouble finding a place to hunt close to the campus. I see some very nice hunting land just off Rt. 4 on my way to the Portsmouth from time to time. In fact, just down the road from the University about a mile or two on RT. 4 is a farm I’d love to bow hunt sometime.

When you get up here, PM me and maybe we can meet up for a bow hunt some weekend on the seacoast. I can show you a few places south of the campus towards Hampton Beach area. You'll need a car for hunting in that area! Biking it would leave you sleeping at the base of your tree for a while

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM

I hunt in Durham on Durham point rd. Also Dame rd which is off Durham point rd. Fish and game owns a lot of land there. Plenty of area to hunt good luck
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

They don't have lots of deer, but they sure have some big ones. The white mountain National forestis huge and holds deer that have never seen a hunter. Really big woods for the NE. A GPS is not a bad idea and will get you back where the big ones are. Plus you can enjoy the millions of leaf peepers guaranteed to ruin a hunt and clog the roads.Hunt the edges if you want to see more deer, but get back in the mess for a real butt busting hunt. Best to get out of sight of your MV.. LOL I love it whenpeople hunt within 500 yds of their car when they are on the edge of big woods. I know 60 year old guys who would never go into the woods when it was still dark and sure want to be back at the truck with the sun still high in the sky. They got the boogey man thing going. Neat feeling when it gets creepy heading into your stand well before daylight. Rock ON guys. >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>Whack!!

USED to hunt with a guy who taped a mini mag light on the end of his Mossberg 500 and walked into the woods with his finger on the trigger. Now that's Creepy!!!!!!!!More scary than any boogy man..
Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
jf5

You will have no problems bow hunting near campus and M is by far the best unit for Deer density. However, its still a long gry from PA deer populations that you may be used too.

Gun huntign M can be crowded from my understanding..
Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you guys have some recomendations as to where I can find some maps of the state forests up in that area? I can't seem to track them down.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 PM

get the Nh gazzette it has all the areas on the map from forest to game lands.Also Durham is zone L not M if you want M you have to go south of rt 101.Rye, Exeter,Hampton all have good deer numbers in unit M but land is hard to come by
Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to Topo Zone.. Can get get any quad in the country. I have more of the things than I can count. Wish they updated the maps once in awhile. The biggest prob is spot that look great on the map are now built up...
>>>>>>>>>>Whack!! !