Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 hunting new hampshire >

hunting new hampshire

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunting new hampshire

Old 08-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hunting new hampshire

the new hampshire law book is NOT a very clear and easy to use piece of trash! ive always hunted n.h. w/ rifle but this year w/ the price of fuel im not going to be able to hunt the expanded archery season in maine so i thought i would concentrate my efforts on my n.h archery tag but my question is anout bag limits.

if i kill a deer w/ my bow in the archery season did i burn up my rifle tag? or am i allowed a deer in both archery and rifle
Old 08-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting new hampshire

To hunt bow season you need an archery license, this comes with its own tag so no, you do not burn your rifle tag!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks. thats wjhat i was unsure of. i wouldnt waste my rifle tag on a deer. i like trackin waaaaaay too much.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM

you can also buy a buck tag for archery so you can have 2 tags also if you hunt zone m you can buy a anterless tag giving you 3 tags seperate from gun although you can use the m tag for any weapon
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow!, you folks sure have alot to choose from in N.H. compared to us up here. Here in the zone I hunt in you can not shoot a doe during archery or rifle season as there is not that many deer so they say. Last year the numbers were up quite a bit but the winter we just had was hard on them up here.

Hey skybuster, did you ever hunt in Vinalhaven during the expanded archery season? I am heading down there Saturday to check the place out. i will have top leave here about 1am to catch the morning ferry..I am planning to hunt there during the last full week of September. I am hereing it is great hunting there. If you never hunted down there have you heard anything from others?

Thanks for any info. Phil
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOB 22

you can also buy a buck tag for archery so you can have 2 tags also if you hunt zone m you can buy a anterless tag giving you 3 tags seperate from gun although you can use the m tag for any weapon
Ya - What he said![&:]

I will clarify / finish any potential questions on the WMA - M Antlerless Tag and any weapon ( I know I'm anal).
Any weapon that happens to be in season @ that particular time...
Archery = 9/15-12/15
Muzzle = 11/1
Firearm = 11/12
Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea where we deer hunt during rifle season they dont even give out doe permits. i dont really bow hunt maine that much accept the expanded archery season cuz like i said i dont wanna burn up my rifle tag. but to answer your question phil, no i havnt ever hunted vinalhaven. we hunt yarmouth, falmouth, cape elizibeth and scarbrough area. ive rea some about vinalhaven in the maine sportsman but thats a little bit too far a drive for me when i can drive 10 minutes and hunt new hampshire. i figured what i save in fuel driving to the expanded zone will more then pay for my new hampshire archery lisence and then some. plus, its really close, effingham, freedom, ossipee area where we rifle hunt n.h. so if i have and hour and a half to hunt i can do it. it takes me a solid hour just to get to an expanded zone and the deer are pretty small. 150 lbs is the biggest we have killed down there. versus 200lbers in new hampshire
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I decide to hunt Vinalhaven it will take me roughly 5 hours to get there including the ferry ride across.. SoI will be trying to get a cabin there and stay the week. I am heading out for a day to check it out at 2 am in the morning, I will be traveling down with a friend that works for Lanes. He had been there for 2 years prior to so I am hoping to be able to hunt more areas through contacts. Oh well I will see how it goes. I just thinkI would enjoy the trip and it will be a different type of hunting than what I am used to. Most areas have been cut heavey up here and if I have any luckI will still be able to hunt the regular season any ways.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it is a done deal..I took the ferry to Vinalhaven but no wheels as the ferry was booked up on the return trip so we walked around over there. We never met up with anyone my friend had mentioned but did meet up with a few lobstermen. They are going to take me around whenI return on my bowhunting trip in September. The locals there are some of the nicest people I have yet to meet. Most folks out there lobster fish to much to be able to have anytime to hunt it. The cabin I am renting knocked $27 off per night from the original price! We did in fact see alot of deer tracks when walking around on a small part of the island so I can't wait to get hunting out there. I will be taking 1 buck tag and 2 maybe 3 doe tags. The biggest problem as I see it is the cost of food and ect.. On the island even the locals shop mostly in Rockland to save money even with the ferry ride..So I will be taking plenty of food and gass when I get there..