Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 massachusetts bowhunting >

massachusetts bowhunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

massachusetts bowhunting

Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Default massachusetts bowhunting

has anybody tried hunting the first opening week of the season, and did you have success? i was thinking about taking some time off and trying that week. but im not giving up on the rut though two weeks every year in the beginning of november cant wait. i noticed that the full moon is like 7 to 10 days earlier than last year.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: massachusetts bowhunting

I usually tag my first buck within a week or so of opening archery season, if I don't there are plenty of does available. Watch the white oak crops first and then any picked cornfields second. White oaks tend to drop a littleearly around here, so look for the ones dropping when you are going to hunt. It takes a little scouting a day or two before, so watch your scent and keep it to a minimum. if you are lucky it will rain and you can do it then. Good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

We usually have a buck and doe down during the 1st week. I took my buck 2nd week this past season and doe opening day. It all depends on the weather.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Yah it def depends on the weather..... if its cold then its going to be better!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my doe last season in the first week and shot a decent buck two weeks later. MY theory is a bit simple... Yuh can't kill them if your not in the woods. Anytime I can put together a few hours, I am all over it.

As a side note I use alot of scents and find that deer are just plain curious!!! I have had them come into doe in heat long before the rut and have hadyoung deer follow in dominent buck lure.. Who know what is going on in their minds. >>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack!!

PS... Sure the deer don't like the heat. put they do move. Maybe not as muck but they move.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya hunt when ever you can thats what I say. But as far as vacations go I am taking mine different this year. I'm taking the second week in Maine I have always gone the first week but not had much success. I am taking the opening week of rifle in Ct. I always seem to do well then. Thanksgiving week for Ma. Bow (plus every morning and days off I work 3-11 with Mon and Tues off) Then Mass shotgun and the second week of muzzle loader.