Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 new hampshire deer hunting >

new hampshire deer hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

new hampshire deer hunting

Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default new hampshire deer hunting

got a buddy who moved to new hampshire and says he see's little to no deer? i have heard other reports about NH and its low deer population, is this true, or only in certain parts of the state?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new hampshire deer hunting

Well it is getting much better over the years! And it all depends who you talk too! Some say more up north others say more down south! I am in central NH and the last few years have been good to us! Mild winters good crop and we have been seeing does with two or three fawns. But to answer your question we dont hold a candle to the rest of the nation. We hunt deer like the rest of the country hunts partridge. We still have fun thou!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The total deer population in the entire state of NH is only about 80-85,000 and the harvest numbers are less than 12,000.

The actual population will vary by region with the northern part typically having the lowest deer numbers.
It is also your best chance of tagging a bruiser buck. Those deer that can dress at well over 200 pounds.

And yes, you can hunt for days without ever seeing a deer.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I think they are likey passing him by.I hunt inSW NHalong the ridges of the CRV andwehave been seeing quite a few the last 2 weekends out for bow. The sign is also good - I see a good mix ofbucks - some I have seen are 200lbs+ and we usually have at least30-40 deer taken in a town of 600. We are taking2 per sq. mile in my area which is not bad and 50% are over 180lbs. NH took 11766 last year - 1/1.27 miles, this is a high numbersince 2000.

Winters are the factor thatconsume deerin NH -2006 was an easy winterandthedeer are doing well, so those numbers are expected to by ~ 12500 or better - 14000 licences sold to date so not counting youth most will get a deer. Don't expect to walk in 100 yards are hit one - in NH you need to work a little bit andget intothe back waters if you want a bruiser over 200lbs. Seacoast has the most but they are smallerthanin the mountain areas.

Turkeys - Icannot fit another in my freezer and there is a season worth the huntin NH!