Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters >

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

and another topic that has gotten some run recently

Buck Limits - I hate (maybe hate is too strong of a word, how about vehemently oppose) this new notion of a 1 buck limit I have heard proposed. I just don’t know what purpose it would serve. If you believe there are “no” deer in NY (I happen to think there are plenty), what does lowering buck harvests do? Males do not control deer populations, females do. Unless someone can convince me that there was a sound management premise behind it and that it was necessary, I would never want to see this happen. I also don’t like the notion that with one good day, the hunting season could be over or severely reduced (for instance, if you shoot a buck on the bow opener and had no doe permits - under current season structure). I did hear an interesting idea regarding this subject and relates to ARs also. Maybe a have a structure where a hunter’s first buck can be any legal buck, whether taken with gun, bow, ML, or crossbow (?). However, the second buck would have to meet an AR limit (whatever that might be would have to be determined). This might be a good way to incorporate some of the benefits of AR without infringing on hunters ability to take a deer.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

“Nuisance” Deep Permits - These come in a few different forms and are much maligned by many. I believe they are needed and do have a place. I also think that they are/can be abused. Better issuing standards and monitoring are needed, but the lack of funding and personnel makes that difficult. I would like to see more of an effort made to try and reduce deer numbers in “problem” areas through regular hunting seasons & methods wherever/whenever possible. Possibly create a program/process where the DEC could recommend individuals or groups that have applied/qualified to hunt on the farms that are over-run by deer. I think only serious, responsible, ethical hunters would take the time to apply to participate in such a program, therefore potential issues/problems with landowners would be minimal. Only in severe circumstances should “non-hunting” approaches (night with lights, rifle in non-rifle areas, out of season) be allowed. All deer taken by the “non-hunting” permits should have to be donated to the needy.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am really suprised no one has much to say on these topics (for or against)???????
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Venison Donation – This is a great program. If you ever have the opportunity to donate a deer, I would recommend helping this worthy cause. Hopefully more and more processors will participate to help the program grow.
Chronic Wasting Disease - I have my fingers crossed, but it appears that this potentially detrimental disease has been contained. I think this is an instance where the DEC and the hunters in theCWD area should really be commended & applauded.
Habitat Stamp - This hasn’t been a big success but I think it is a good idea. I have to admit I have not purchased one, but would not be opposed to a mandatory fee (say $2 instead of $5) for all hunting/fishing license sold. It would be an easy way to generate conservation funds.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 PM

doughboy,
I'm very surprised you have not had more comments from the NY hunters here. New York is struggling with the same issues that PA has been for some time.
AR has caused alot of debate here and more so, herd reduction/habitat regeneration. I'm sure you have read some of the posts here.
If Ny does pass AR and limit buck harvest to one and reduce doe numbers if necessary , the long term effects are well worth the contraversy.
Tell me, does NY have habitat concerns? An unbalanced herd? ,etc.
I'm curious what the overall herd numbers vs. hunters is also and hunter success rate.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a bit suprised also. Maybe not many NYers floatin around, maybe they just don't care?????? As far as habitat, we aren't too bad off. I am sure there are areas that may have the "forage line" (nothing below the deer's reach), but not like I have heard in PA. The herd is, most likely, not "in balance" (depends on the definition), but it's not terribly out of balance, IMO. But who knows for sure? As I said, I am up in the air on the AR issue. I don't really think it's needed and there really has to be a sound management/biological reason for me to buy into it (the one buck rule - no way). If people realy want the trophy bucks & balanced herds they should get their own land (300+ ac. and manage it accordingly (I wish I could do that). Otherwise leave the public lands alone. However if they do try the "AR" approach on public land they better be willing to takea QDM approach an plant food plots and manage forests to support the change.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Here is mine....

Deer Season

Month of October = Bow season
Month of November = gun season (shotgun/rifle)
Month of December = Muzzleloader

Coyote/Fox Season should be concurrent

Crow Season should be everyday, not F,S,S,M as it is now
Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

DEC - I think on of my biggest pet peeves and a place where many could apply a New Year’s resolution would be regarding all of the complaining about and finger pointing at the DEC. Constructive criticism is a good, but rarely offered. I am sick of all the whining about “the DEC did this” (actively stocked mountain lions) or “didn’t do that” (issue “me” a doe permit) or “shouldn’t do that” or “needs to do this” and on and on. The DEC has a difficult, sometimes impossible, and often thankless job. Take for example one of the biggest complaints many have – “they have no clue what the deer population is”. Think of this next time you complain about this topic: 1) most of those who complain know little or nothing about population dynamics or estimation; 2) many reports estimate the actual reporting of deer harvest at around 40%. It is difficult enough to estimate deer numbers when accurate harvests are known, but when they have to estimate 60% it is even more difficult. So it is us hunters that could help them do their jobs better in regards to deer herd estimation. Report your harvests, it only take a few minutes. For the most part the DEC has done the best they can with the resources available to them. This is not to say that things could be improved here and there, better leadership found in certain areas, and priorities adjusted from time to time. The next time you have a complaint why not do some research, write a letter to or call the DEC, get involved with local sportsmen’s groups, attend meeting/hearings, etc. Offer constructive criticism, reasonable alternatives, and suggestions for improvement on issues that you may disagree with. Don’t just idly sit by, complain, & whine – that’s the easy, lazy way.

With that said, I would have to say the having someone like Grannis in charge of the DEC wouldnot be theway to give the DEC proper leadership. It needs to have someone with a solid and practical environmental backgraound (biology, natural resources, wildlife management, etc. being a hunter, fisherman, and/or outdoorsman (or woman) wouldn't hurt either. Someone with these credentials would not only give the DECstronger credibility, but it would give the outdoors people of the State more confidence in the DEC.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 AM

shorten the shotgun season...
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Lengthen all the seasons:

Add3 weeks to bow season 1 week sooner and 2 at the end of Bow season
Add 2 weeks to the end of regular season
Add 2 weeks to the muzzle loader season.

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.