Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters >

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Regular Season (Shotgun/Rifle) - Let’s have a compromise on the Saturday gun opener by having the season start on Sunday. This still allows youth to participate in the opening day, allows hunters to spend time in hunting camp & patronizing local businesses, and gives bowhunters one more day of prime hunting. As it is now, end the season on the Sunday after four weeks.
Late Archery Season - Let’s keep this the same as it is now (9 days after the close of regular season). It could be expanded some without much issue also.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are definitely not many NYers around??
Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late Crossbow Season - Start after the end of the regular season, like late bow, but run a bit longer. Have it run 14 days (through Sunday). As I stated earlier, you would still only have a max of 2 tags (1 either sex & 1 antlerless) to use between the 3 implements (ML, Bow, XB). After monitoring XB use and harvests, seasons could, potentially, be expanded.
Late ML Season - I have always thought that there should be equity for the ML season(s). I believe the late season is a great place to get that equity. I would propose that late ML run from the day after the regular season closes until December 31st. I know some get worried that bucks will be shot mistakenly for doe if their antlers have dropped. In my eyes that is not that big of an issue, but if it is a concern then the last week of the late ML could be antlerless only (with proper tags of course).

I have tried to take into account all types of deer hunters with this fictional deer season. I have, no doubt, forgotten some details here and there, but I think the overall gist of my “dream season” is there. I also know and have heard all the arguments for & against the above scenarios and have taken them into account. Now let’s look at some of the other issues and resolutions related to hunting in New York..........

Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now let’s look at some of the other issues and resolutions related to hunting in New York.

Saturday Opener – As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t overly enthused with this notion. I liked the tradition of Monday openers, not to mention the 2 prime days to bow hunt. I have heard that the number of hunters in the woods on opening day really hasn’t changed since the weekend opener started (which was the main reason for it). Maybe there could be a compromise and open it on Sunday?

Youth Hunting & Seasons – I have never been a big proponent of lowering the hunting age (at least drastically). I don’t necessarily like the idea of 8 year old kids, who often need assistance operating a firearm, out in the woods actively hunting. I just don’t think the maturity level and responsibility required for safe hunting are there at that young of an age. However, I do realize the need/benefits of reducing the age somewhat to get a bit more inline with the rest of the country. Maybe lower the hunting ages to 11 and 14 for small game, turkey, waterfowl, etc. and big game, respectively. And by all means, take those younger kids into the woods as much as possible, even if they can’t carry a gun. I like the idea of the early youth turkey hunt and can’t believe that there are some so selfish to complain about kids getting an early opportunity to bag a turkey. I don’t necessarily see a need to have a designated early youth deer season, but if one was instituted (say first year, 14 year old hunters) I would be fine with it.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM

OK ok The saturday opener was great for me, it was the first year my wife and I could hunt rifle together and it was a great time. I like the idea that she didn't have to loose a vacation day that this year she didn't have and we could send the kids to their grand parents the night before pack up the rolling hunting cabin and go. Keep the Saturday opener!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blaze Orange - Simply put, this would make the woods safer and potential accidents could be avoided, period. It can’t make it more dangerous. Just because hunters (or anybody in the woods during hunting season for that matter) would be required to wear orange, doesn’t mean we would then abandon the safety rules we should always be following. But it would make it safer for those in the woods with others that may not heed those rules or have a lapse in judgment. It would also reduce the chance of “honest” mistakes occurring (i.e. - a person walking 200 yards away in brush or thick woods is much easier to see wearing blaze than if he has camo on). There are those who oppose this regulation simply because it would be a regulation. It’s the “I don’t need the government telling me what to do” mentality. To some degree that mentality is valid, but I would argue that in most cases the same people don’t like the government telling them to not drink and drive, speed, or talk on their cell phone while driving. As with the driving examples, it’s not all about keeping yourself safe, you are also protecting others (a hunter that may not be able to see you and take a shot he shouldn’t). I am not saying we need blaze on head to toe and have it on for all seasons. A hat or vest is plenty and should be worn in firearm seasons.

Rifle Hunting in So. Zone - I don’t think the jury is out anymore on this change. It was not the dangerous evil that some thought it would be. I love being able to take my rifles hunting in the So. Zone (although it hasn’t helped me harvest a deer yet!!), even if it is only for the fact that I get use out of my investment. The extra accuracy is also a bonus (the extra range doesn’t really come into play where I hunt, but is nice to have). I think that anywhere the terrain & landscape deems it safe (woods, hills, mountains to stop errant shots and low population densities) it should be available to hunters.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 AM

well i agreee blaze orange should be required, the people i know who dont wear blaze orange are those who dont want to be seen by people, usually because they are where thay are not supposed to be........as far as rifles..............i honestly see no need for them. i';ve heard of a few houses being shot and many barns.lots of farmers by me will let poeple hunt as long as it isn't witha rifle.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 AM

I am for rifles. I wear blaze orange but, I don't think it needs to be a law.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

OK ok The saturday opener was great for me, it was the first year my wife and I could hunt rifle together and it was a great time. I like the idea that she didn't have to loose a vacation day that this year she didn't have and we could send the kids to their grand parents the night before pack up the rolling hunting cabin and go. Keep the Saturday opener!
John,

Wouldn't the Sunday opener do the same thing? Just thought it was a reasonable compromise.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this has been covered (at some length). But these were my thoughts when I set out writing down my ideas:

Antler Restriction (AR) - Talk about a highly debated, hottopic. I have to admit I really haven’t had a big opinion either way on this complex topic and have not really researched it too much. My gut feeling has been that a really don’t like it. I’m just not convinced it is the right way to go and seems too much like a trend toward trophy hunting. Both the “3 point per side” and newer “spread limitation” theories have their benefits and faults (that’s a whole other topic that should be tackled by someone far more knowledgeable in AR than me - and has been cover). I watched and listened as PA went through their change to AR and saw the intense and, at times, very nasty debate. It seems, for the most part, that ARs have shown some benefits in PA and there aren’t anywhere near as many complaints and nay-sayers as before. As far as NY goes, I would like to see how the pilot project in the test WMUs plays out and hear what the hunters in those units think after a few more years. To me the bottom line should be about herd health and population dynamics and not trophy hunting. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see more 140-160 class bucks. However, I am just as content to have a healthy herd and have the ability to take a doe or buck (whether it’s a spike, fork, 8 pt. or better). There needs to be a clear definition of what ARs (in any form) in NY would accomplish and how they would accomplish those goals. I’m sure there will be much more to come on antler restrictions in the years to come.

Buck Limits - I hate (maybe hate is too strong of a word, how about vehemently oppose) this new notion of a 1 buck limit I have heard proposed. I just don’t know what purpose it would serve. If you believe there are “no” deer in NY (I happen to think there are plenty), what does lowering buck harvests do? Males do not control deer populations, females do. Unless someone can convince me that there was a sound management premise behind it and that it was necessary, I would never want to see this happen. I also don’t like the notion that with one good day, the hunting season could be over or severely reduced (for instance, if you shoot a buck on the bow opener and had no doe permits - under current season structure). I did hear an interesting idea regarding this subject and relates to ARs also. Maybe a have a structure where a hunter’s first buck can be any legal buck, whether taken with gun, bow, ML, or crossbow (?). However, the second buck would have to meet an AR limit (whatever that might be would have to be determined). This might be a good way to incorporate some of the benefits of AR without infringing on a hunters ability to take a deer.

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.