Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters >

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Here are one sportsman’s thoughts & ideas on what a “perfect” hunting season in NY might look like, as well as, some thoughts and ideas on other NY hunting issues. I try and take a “what’s best for the sport of hunting” not a “me, me, me” approach, however it is impossible not to have some takes on certain issues that are not slanted toward my personal biases. With that in mind, please review, react, & respond to the following with an open mind and try to put yourself in others’ shoes thinking about hunting overall and not just what may or may not benefit you and your individual situation.

Let’s begin with a look at a “perfect” hunting season. To begin with, I think that small game seasons seem to be adequate. We don’t hear much complaining about them except for big game seasons “interfering” with it. I have to admit, I don’t small game hunt much, but after seeing the numbers of squirrels this deer season, I may have to concentrate a bit more on those critters and plan on doing a bit of hunting this winter. I am an avid turkey hunter and see no reason to change turkey regulations or seasons (the countdown is on to May 1st). I have no personal knowledge on the other seasons not mentioned (waterfowl, migratory birds, furbearers), therefore I don’t have much input on them. However, I do think that there need be no season on crows and think that coyote season could be expanded (although I don’t think coyotes need to be exterminated as many do).

I am hoping this gets posted at the top of the board and I will add to it every few days and let people react and respond. Again, try to look at it as I mentioned above.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Here's the start of my perfect hunting season:

Now to get into the sometimes controversial and often debated topics related to deer hunting regulations and seasons (since I hunt primarily in the Southern Zone, that’s where my focus will be). I will preface this by saying that I am a “hunter” and enjoy using the variety of weapons (bow, shotgun/rifle, & muzzleloader) that we are currently allowed. Here’s what my ideal season would look like:
Early Muzzleloader (ML) - Yes, I am a bowhunter and in favor of an early ML season. I would love to have the opportunity to get in the woods with my ML early and think it would have little to no effect on the deer for bow season. I strongly think there should be more opportunities to ML hunt outside of regular gun season (I have a shotgun & rifle to hunt with during that season). So let’s have a 7 day early ML season (similar to the Northern Zone regs) starting Oct. 1st.
Early Crossbow (XB) - that is coming next. Shouldn't be much controversy on this issue!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:36 AM

well the only problem i have with waterfowl is that the opener of duck season runs the same time as bowseason, so a hunter would ahv eto choose which tehy would prefer, ina treestand or in a blind. The second, i would not have a problemw ith an early muzzleloader season BUT only if they made it flintlock or sidehammer only with no scopes...other than that you are shooting a single shot rifle. And i know that where i come from, there are enough muzzle hunters that it would def. distrupt the bowhunting.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 AM

I agree with an early ML season and the "little or no effect on the deer for bow season" with one prevision iron sights only, in most cases you will be hunting well within the ML's range and with the modern rifles, projectiles and powders if you scope it you may as well have a cartridge rifle at the same range. I have a CVA side-lock ML without a scope and like the challenge of a single shot and iron sights. So yes to early ML with iron sights.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go along with an iron (open) sight reg, if it would make people happy. I don'treally think it's necessary and would be a pain switching out scope, but would do it if it allowed me more opportunity in the woods. If it were primative, I would probably be out - don't think I'd go out and get one (don't need more guns), but maybe.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early Crossbow (XB) - I know there are many who now think I must be crazy. I have never been strongly for or against crossbows and don’t see myself running out to buy one if they were allowed. But there are some who really would benefit from a XB season such as aging bowhunters, youth, women, and disabled hunters (not just the ones that meet the current, strict guidelines). To me crossbow hunting is not bow hunting or gun hunting. It is “gun hunting at archery ranges”. Therefore, give it its own season & tag and charge for it. You would not be allowed any more deer than current limits, just the opportunity to use the XB (you would get a ML/Bow/XB tag). This would not only give hunters more opportunities to harvest deer, but it would also generate more funds for NY conservation. The season could run concurrently with the last 4 days of early ML and first 3 days of bow season (see above/below).
Archery Season - I didn’t really like losing a prime weekend of bow season with the Saturday gun opener but made the most of it. As hinted above, I would start the bow season on the 8th of October and have the first 3 days concurrent with early XB. The season would then run through the third Saturday in November (that’s right, no Saturday gun opener - details coming). This basically gives bowhunters an extra week of hunting.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM

I would change the rifle opener to Monday again.
I would shorten our rifle season to 1 week.
Longer Bow season...October 1'st would be nice, good weather and can pattern deer based on food sources.
Limit every hunter to one buck tag, you choose your weapon.
This is my ideal season for starters.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

my perfect season.... october 15-to november 25th? then from that until the end of regular deer season. then a week of muzzleloader like always.
my reasoning is giving the deer less pressure will give them more time to breed, it will also give us bowhunters that much more time needed to figure out the deer because time is the enssence when bowhunting. when im gun hunting it doesnt really matter where i hunt i usually see something

water fowl is the next season
i think the early season is fine as well as the late season but if we get a mild winter like weve had birds just simply arent around
i would then leave them alone for a week and then have another 1 week season

as far as turkeys may 1st its been the same date forever why change it... the date is for a reason... so that most of the hens have been bred by may

coyotes and crows...come on a season on them?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh ya monday openers are better too
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Spike

The perfect season has some of the past, present and future:

To see the sunrise and the sunset.
A warm rising sun on a cold morning.
The crack of my father's gun.
To see my grandfather in the woods.
To see each of my boys stand over their 1st deer.

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.