HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

“Nuisance” Deep Permits - These come in a few different forms and are much maligned by many. I believe they are needed and do have a place. I also think that they are/can be abused. Better issuing standards and monitoring are needed, but the lack of funding and personnel makes that difficult. I would like to see more of an effort made to try and reduce deer numbers in “problem” areas through regular hunting seasons & methods wherever/whenever possible. Possibly create a program/process where the DEC could recommend individuals or groups that have applied/qualified to hunt on the farms that are over-run by deer. I think only serious, responsible, ethical hunters would take the time to apply to participate in such a program, therefore potential issues/problems with landowners would be minimal. Only in severe circumstances should “non-hunting” approaches (night with lights, rifle in non-rifle areas, out of season) be allowed. All deer taken by the “non-hunting” permits should have to be donated to the needy.