Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters >

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

ORIGINAL: J-bow
5 Weeks, 2 Days and counting till BOW!!!
Maybe for you. My bow season starts in 23 days

ORIGINAL: J-bow
Adams,NY? Do you do any Steelhead fishing up that way?
A little. Unfortunately the best steelhead fishing is in late October when I am deer hunting.

I really like this thread. It is always fun to hear what my brother NY'ers think.

Here is my spin on a few.

Saturday opener. Keep it Saturday.You were willing to take Monday off, so take Friday off instead for traveling. It is so nice to have my young daughter with me at hunting camp instead of at school. Take your kids hunting with before they are 12 or we are going to lose them to young distractions.

Blaze Orange. I wear an orange hat and gloves. That is enough. Anymore and you will have people shooting at anything that is not orange. I have seen IN THE WOODS, hikers, bikers, dog walkers, EnCon Officers, and farmers. Are you going to mandate that an EnCon officer wear blaze orange?

Crossbows. Fight it all you want, but you will not stop it. You are surrounded by crossbow states. I will be a crossbow owner very soon so I can hunt with my friend on Wolfe Island. There is no reason whatsoever that I cannot go in my woods and use a crossbow. I heard all of the same complaints from the ML shooters when they wanted to put scopes on ML's.

Coyotes. No season. Shoot'm all!

Rifles in the southern tier. Sure but I will probably still use my shotgun. I rarely have a shot at a deer over 100 yards where I hunt. Honady makes a 20 ga. slug that drops 6" at 200 yards. What more do you need? But as I said before, "where I hunt".

NY outdoor sportsmen need to all get on the same page. Nobody is better than anyone else. We are all here for the same reason, to hunt.

Grannis. When NYS sportsmans clubs like NYB and others took a neutral stance on the Grannis nomination they basically neutered us as a voice to heard in Albany. The politicians now know that they can do almost anything they want. Grannis is going to come back and bite us on the behind, you mark my words.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM

no, i personally dont like monday starts because i have school on moday, my father who comes with me to hunt, he says that i cannot miss school for hunting... [:@] i always go on the first days of the season and i think the deeror animals have no clue that were going to come into the woods and try to hunt them downn... its hard to get a big buck in the late seasons because they know somebody is in ther killing deer and so they hide..... i go hunting on weekends and my day offs only so i wouldnt be very pleased if they changed it to monday... that would really suck for me personally
Old 11-03-2007, 07:32 PM

wo0ow same exact situation with me kingnn93
Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Spike

I dont want any gunshots in the woods during bow season. I enjoy the quiet woods during bow. It is bad enough you get the gun toters out in the woods, during the last week of bow.THey are out there sighting in, hanging stands, cutting trees(sometimes with chain saws) and so on......
This is all during the peak of the rut sometimes.
I do hunt during the gun season,, with a ml for the challenge. .I dont enjoy seeing all the tiny spikes and doesgettin killed.So as far as the early ml season. You can take the first week of gun season. That may help teach some gun only hunters the importance of shot placement.Not BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG RELOAD BANG.LIKE I HEARD ON OPENING DAY.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Yeah I love opening day being on a saturday. Some of us have to work on mondays and would miss it otherwise. Also some of us have to travel over an hour to get to our spots. Saturdays great because my dad, all our buddies, and I meet up friday night and go out. Then we have two whole days work free to be up in the stands.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 PM

I would like to see the archery season to start on Oct 1,and go till Nov 25th then,gun season start that next monday and go till Dec 12th then ML/archery till Dec 20th.
We should get 2 buck tags,to be used in either season,bow or gun
I also would be in favor of antler restrictions,buck should be at least 6 pointer.
We should get 3 doe tags per license(not including any doe permits we get)we need to balance out the deer herd,the doe to buck ratio is so far out of whack in NY it's crazy.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

We need a crossbow season for us old farts, who are falling apart. The season should be during archery season when its fairly warm to keep our old bones going. I believe we need a one buck season and if you get a button buck ,tag it with your buck license. As it stands now about 35% of deer taken with doe permits are button bucks, lets give them a chance to grow. Rich
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

I would change the rifle opener to Monday again.
I would shorten our rifle season to 1 week.
Longer Bow season...October 1'st would be nice, good weather and can pattern deer based on food sources.
Limit every hunter to one buck tag, you choose your weapon.
This is my ideal season for starters.
I agree 100% with all you say.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RWK

We need a crossbow season for us old farts, who are falling apart. The season should be during archery season when its fairly warm to keep our old bones going. I believe we need a one buck season and if you get a button buck ,tag it with your buck license. As it stands now about 35% of deer taken with doe permits are button bucks, lets give them a chance to grow. Rich
100%!!!!!!!

Steve
Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could wave wands, pull levers and set the hunting seasons, it would go as follows.

Oct.1-15 *all archery, including Xbow

Oct.16-third sunday in Nov *archery, EXcluding Xbow

Third mon. in Nov. - Nov.30th *Reg. season (rifle restrictions lifted statewide!)

All of Dec. *Muzzleloader and archery including Xbow.

(Apologies, if Im reapeating others previous posts on the subject)

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.