Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission >

Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

Rob, your answer sounds a lot like the Brady bunch's description of "assault weapons." I have hunted in states where SEMIautomatic weapons like the Remington model 7400 or for that matter the AK47 are perfectly legal to use, and the hail of lead simply does not happen. I have several semiautomatic pistols and rifles and am no more of a danger with them than I am with my muzzleloader or any single shot.

I realize that semiautomatic rifles are not legal to hunt with in PA, but I hope you are aware that it is legal to hunt with a semiautomatic shotgun? I personally use a double barrel, but hunted on Saturday with two guys using semi's. Please keep in mind that it is not the weapon that is dangerous. It is the idiot operating it. If the guys you hunt with are safety conscious, there is no unsafe weapon in their hands.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

Rob, your answer sounds a lot like the Brady bunch's description of "assault weapons." I have hunted in states where SEMIautomatic weapons like the Remington model 7400 or for that matter the AK47 are perfectly legal to use, and the hail of lead simply does not happen. I have several semiautomatic pistols and rifles and am no more of a danger with them than I am with my muzzleloader or any single shot.

I realize that semiautomatic rifles are not legal to hunt with in PA, but I hope you are aware that it is legal to hunt with a semiautomatic shotgun? I personally use a double barrel, but hunted on Saturday with two guys using semi's. Please keep in mind that it is not the weapon that is dangerous. It is the idiot operating it. If the guys you hunt with are safety conscious, there is no unsafe weapon in their hands.
Actually no, I was using the term "assualt" rifle because Windwalker introduced it that way and I've been hunting in PA long enough to know that if legal, yes there would be a hail of lead....I've heard it out of pump, bolt action rifles enough times to know that there are those type of hunters here....yes, it would happen..imagine the same guys who throw lead acorss a couple hundred yard field at does hoping to hit them with the mentaility it's brown it's down having the legal means of a semi auto loading rifle..it would happen....and that's all I have to say about that.

I don't define semi auto shotguns as assualt although I am aware of those who do....as you described above. I don't want to hijack this thread in a political view of defining weapons of choice, I simply answered the question at hand. I've given up on rifle seasons in general because of the mayhem that already exists in that particular season. I don't condemn those who choose to hunt it and I only wish them success and safety but I've heard lead fly by enough times to never want semi's in the field with me....

I too own a semi handgun, A Glock Model 21 in .45 cal.....I don't want it's use taken from me but I don't wish to see it legal for hunting either. Our rights are fringed upon more and more and especially when it comes to our guns, all I said was I don't wish to see more laws which fringe those rights more, like having to case my weapons.....
Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

here is .02 from someone who has never hunted in PA. : a number of years ago, here in vermont they allowed spotlighting. it lasted only one year, i believe. poaching skyrocketed, homeowners trying to sleep were awakened by 2million candlepower lights shining in their bedroom windows. i lived in virginia for a year, where it was legal to do, but overall, but the losses incurred from poaching activities doesn't make up for the benefits of watching the deer, i just don't feel there is a good, viable reason for it to continue.
as for the semi ban, again, as an outsider looking in, i can tell you that here we have a very low rate of hunter accidents, amongst the tops in the country, and we allow semi's. perhaps if people are having lead thrown at them, PA should allow shotguns only. it least it will shorten the distances people will shoot, hopefully allowing them to be a little bit more selective in their shots.
i like the pheasant idea, but in this day and age where people are getting nervous about the bird flu, i think you might have a hard time getting the state to allow the private raising of the birds.
and oh yeah, get rid of your sunday hunting ban!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:38 AM

I would like to say, trapping is the most effective way, known to man to harvest surplus coyotes. They work while you are at work, sleep or doing what ever. It is a great management tool. Learn to trap and the coyotes will see it's effect.

Proud to be a active member to the NTA (Natioanl Trappers Assoc.)and the FTA (Fur Takers Assoc.) also Varmint Huters Assoc.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I grew up in PA and have hunted in WV for the last10 years and don't see the issues with spot lighting or poachinglike you do. IfI sawthe CO riding around my hometown and there was a ton of poaching still going on! I'd be the phone or writting a letter complainingabout them doing their job or should I say lack of. Pa has already has it illegal to spot light with a weapon! How wouldmaking spot lighting illegal or mandatory gun cases in vehicles,going to stop a poacher that already doesn't care about the laws that exist?POACHERS WILL POACHdespite the laws that you think will make it harder for them![/align]
Why not makeareal nicereward for turning in a poacher? I'd turn one in for nothing but maybe that second cousin or co-worker will only do it fora big chunk of money! Where does that money come from? How about the higher finesthe poacher has to pay? or money from selling their truck they (PGC)confiscate after getting caught? If they catch them in their home with a freezer full of poached deer or fish? confiscate the house and sell it! How about makinga laws that takes EVERYTHING a poacher has that was related to the crime and with hunting/fishing? Make laws that makes their lives hell! Not mine and everylaw biddingperson in PA.

I enjoy riding around with my Dad spot lighting and don't see how eliminating itwill help.I'd like to believe that our presence riding around spot lighting might deters a poacher from thinking he'll can get away with it. Without spot lighting there will be a lot less people out making the idiot poachersbrass ballsevenbigger.

Living in NH 6 years now and they allow spotlightingfromJanto Sept. Ihave yetheard it being a problem here with people getting blasted with spot lightsor with ANY poaching.

[/align]
Old 04-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

I grew up in PA and have hunted in WV for the last10 years and don't see the issues with spot lighting or poachinglike you do. IfI sawthe CO riding around my hometown and there was a ton of poaching still going on! I'd be the phone or writting a letter complainingabout them doing their job or should I say lack of. Pa has already has it illegal to spot light with a weapon! How wouldmaking spot lighting illegal or mandatory gun cases in vehicles,going to stop a poacher that already doesn't care about the laws that exist?POACHERS WILL POACHdespite the laws that you think will make it harder for them!

[/align]
Why not makeareal nicereward for turning in a poacher? I'd turn one in for nothing but maybe that second cousin or co-worker will only do it fora big chunk of money! Where does that money come from? How about the higher finesthe poacher has to pay? or money from selling their truck they (PGC)confiscate after getting caught? If they catch them in their home with a freezer full of poached deer or fish? confiscate the house and sell it! How about makinga laws that takes EVERYTHING a poacher has that was related to the crime and with hunting/fishing? Make laws that makes their lives hell! Not mine and everylaw biddingperson in PA.

I enjoy riding around with my Dad spot lighting and don't see how eliminating itwill help.I'd like to believe that our presence riding around spot lighting might deters a poacher from thinking he'll can get away with it. Without spot lighting there will be a lot less people out making the idiot poachersbrass ballsevenbigger.

Living in NH 6 years now and they allow spotlightingfromJanto Sept. Ihave yetheard it being a problem here with people getting blasted with spot lightsor with ANY poaching.

[/align]
When you hunt WV, do you feel like you really lost your freedoms? They don't allow spotting and you must case your weapons to transport them. I'm sure you don't really feel that your rights have been taken away, that much.

Weren't you more upset of losing your right to shoot a spike or four point, when the imposed AR?

If taking away spotting won't stop poaching, why did they make it illegal to spot during firearms season? You use to be able to spot year round.

Why did they stop it during rifle season then?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

When you hunt WV, do you feel like you really lost your freedoms? They don't allow spotting and you must case your weapons to transport them. I'm sure you don't really feel that your rights have been taken away, that much.

You right, I don't feel my freedom has been taken away. Once I'm in camp I'm there for the week as far as the hunting goes. I never had to worry about riding around with my rifle un cased because I always keep it in a case. Even in all the other staes I hunt that don't have this law, it's always in a case.

Weren't you more upset of losing your right to shoot a spike or four point, when the imposed AR?

Not one bit! Hunting back home for me is more about getting with myFatherand spending quality time with him and family members. I also hunt MD, WV, VT and here in NH which leaves me will plenty of hunting opportunities.

If taking away spotting won't stop poaching, why did they make it illegal to spot during firearms season? You use to be able to spot year round.

I don't work forthe PGC so I don't really know the reason for that. Maybe seeing the deer were being hunted during the day, they felt allowing spotting during that time would be adding too much pressure? Kinda of give them a break frombeing shot at allday and pushed around. I don't know but unless you were on the board that passed that law or went to all the hearing on it? You don't really know either. Right?

Why did they stop it during rifle season then?

Thinkthis one is a repeat from the question above. If it's not? still refer to the above response

I'm not trying rip your idea man. You posted it on here to get opinions and feedback. I forget who posted it but they're right! If the opinions aren't what you want to hear, you get upset about it.
[/align][/align]All I'm trying to say is that spot lighting does work in PA and even in other states.Take a look at the anti- hunters! One hunting accident and they all over the news campaigning to ban hunting and how dangerous it is.We allknow accidents happen and it doesn't meanhunters are all out there being reckless. Same thing here, just because you're having a hell of time in your area by a few bad people, do wepunish all the law bidding hunters? The answer isn'tnew laws!Enforcethe ones they already haveand do what I wrote above!Here it is again[/align]
[/align]
Good luck with your proposals and I hope something can be done about all the poaching going on in your area. I guess I'm a veryvery lucky I don't have to deal with that issue myself in the areas I live and hunt.

[/align]
Old 04-18-2006, 10:11 AM

I think that a lot of the suggestions were good one if even in Rough draft form - with a little tweaking I am sure that if implemented and enforced properly some of these suggetions could definately help.

I like spotlighting but if doing away with it would stop poachers I would be for it. the only problem I see here is that poachers don't abide by the rules now I am not sure they would care if spotlighting was legal or not if they thought they could get away with it.

having your guns cased while in transport doesn't really strike a cord with me as much as some that have posted - I do agree that any form of new regulations on guns could be done without but i case my guns while transporting them anyways so I guess it doesn't bother me.

I wouldbe all for having clubs like the boy scouts or FFA and the like participate in the program - It would get the kids involved in the out doors and it would also help repopulate some areas that the population has droped due to predation or land developement.

The phesant solution could also be handeled through groups like the FFA, Boyscouts, and 4H. Have the PGC offer grants to these groups to raise and release phesants in certain designated areas. No man hours would be used by the PGC to take care of the raising and releasing of the animals except for someone to oversea the release process which would be a minimal commitment.

I don't know about the leagalization of asult rifles for coyotes - I think that your standard deer rifle or Varmint rig should work just fine. I bounty program that went towards your hunting license for the following year would go a long way to get people involved in coyote hunting.

One thing people do have to realize about how coyotes populate though is that there is a alpha male and alpha female in an area. The alpha female should be the only breeding female for an area if the population is healthy - if the alpha female is killed all the females of breeding age will start breeding that year. instead of having one litter of pups you may have 6 litters - here is the only problem that I see with PA's year long coyote season as is.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

mk-m- gobble, here are a couple of things to think about: PA may have a law against carrying a weapon with you while spotting, but how is a warden to know which person spotting has a weapon, and who doesn't? surespotting may be fun to do, so is driving 80mph on backroads, but that doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do. it is simple: outlaw all spotlighting. those who are left spotlighting, are the crooks! that is how you tell the difference between law abiding people and poachers.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't consider driving 80 on back roads fun,maybe stupid but not fun.
On the other hand I had some great times taking my kids spotting while enjoying great sightings of bucks,bear,coyote,bobcat,beavers,etc.These animals are basically nocturnal so spotting is the best chance to see them with youngsters.I disagree that it should be illegal because of poachers.It won't stop them.In my area the favorite tactic of poaching is with atv's.Maybe they should outlaw the atv's.
Another tactic they use is baiting.That's already illegal but it doesn't stop the slobs.
I can't see punishing the majority for a chosen few.

Quick Reply: Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.