HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission
Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Windwalker's proposals to the Pennsylvania Game Commission

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

Rob, your answer sounds a lot like the Brady bunch's description of "assault weapons." I have hunted in states where SEMIautomatic weapons like the Remington model 7400 or for that matter the AK47 are perfectly legal to use, and the hail of lead simply does not happen. I have several semiautomatic pistols and rifles and am no more of a danger with them than I am with my muzzleloader or any single shot.

I realize that semiautomatic rifles are not legal to hunt with in PA, but I hope you are aware that it is legal to hunt with a semiautomatic shotgun? I personally use a double barrel, but hunted on Saturday with two guys using semi's. Please keep in mind that it is not the weapon that is dangerous. It is the idiot operating it. If the guys you hunt with are safety conscious, there is no unsafe weapon in their hands.
Actually no, I was using the term "assualt" rifle because Windwalker introduced it that way and I've been hunting in PA long enough to know that if legal, yes there would be a hail of lead....I've heard it out of pump, bolt action rifles enough times to know that there are those type of hunters here....yes, it would happen..imagine the same guys who throw lead acorss a couple hundred yard field at does hoping to hit them with the mentaility it's brown it's down having the legal means of a semi auto loading rifle..it would happen....and that's all I have to say about that.

I don't define semi auto shotguns as assualt although I am aware of those who do....as you described above. I don't want to hijack this thread in a political view of defining weapons of choice, I simply answered the question at hand. I've given up on rifle seasons in general because of the mayhem that already exists in that particular season. I don't condemn those who choose to hunt it and I only wish them success and safety but I've heard lead fly by enough times to never want semi's in the field with me....

I too own a semi handgun, A Glock Model 21 in .45 cal.....I don't want it's use taken from me but I don't wish to see it legal for hunting either. Our rights are fringed upon more and more and especially when it comes to our guns, all I said was I don't wish to see more laws which fringe those rights more, like having to case my weapons.....