Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Central Iowa hunters? >

Central Iowa hunters?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Central Iowa hunters?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Central Iowa hunters?

Anyone on here hunt near Lake City Iowa " Calhoun County "? I just moved up here a couple months ago and I was wondering if there is anybody on here in the area???
Old 10-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Central Iowa hunters?

I will be hunting in green county between churdan and ralston. not to far from you

Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM

I'm not real sure where that is right off hand, I'm new to IA and still dont know where alot of other counties/towns are yet....
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

If you know where lansboro is,I would be 3-5 miles southeast of there. I hunt down the road from hyde park on the river onmy brother in laws land. some decent deer in that area but quite a few hunters too especially during shotgun season. i will be back there this weekend to hunt and if i get one i might be at pete's place in lansboro celebrating.

there are a couple public hunting places around there, one called hobarts is across the road from where i hunt and i heard last night they are combining corn right next to it so it might be a good place to try out.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Yeah seems like the shotgun hunters take a huge toll on the deer heard around here too...All they do is huge deer drives and they kill everything that moves...Young buck,doe,fawn, it doesnt matter to them, if it's brown it's down. I have some public land nearby and some private land I can hunt but the bucks never have a chance to get real big because of all the pressure from the local shotgun hunters. People in this area have never heard ofQDM that's for sure. They'd rather kill a year and a half old 4 pointer than a 160" 5year old buck....It's shame, we have the genes and the food here to grow giant deer but they dont have the chance to live that long on 99.9% of the land around here.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 PM

i couldnt agree more with you...i havent shot a deer around there in the last 4 years because I dont want to be one of those people. I saw over a dozen 2 yr old bucks last weekend and 2 deer that were 4-5 yrs old. hopefully i can get to an old one before they are wiped out by the shotgun hunters.

i would say i hear of around 5 deer that people take in the area every year that are over 140...and maybe 1 a yr over 160. there is a lot of ground for only that few of good deer to be taken.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Yeah I'd love to lease a farm here next year so I can control what goes on. If I can get one to lease maybe in a few years it would have some mature deer on it....Guess we'll see if I can find something. I have private land to hunt here but the owners always let people shotgun hunt it so that screws everything up.