Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

baiting debate

Old 10-27-2006, 05:35 AM

Default baiting debate

In Illinois it is illegal to use Deer Cain beacause it is baiting.
What is the difference between putting up a treestand over Deer Cain and putting up a treestand over a foodplot I planted? this is a heated debate at work. I say no difference. a few guys say yes there is a difference.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:16 AM

Default RE: baiting debate

my arguement is- if it is illegal to put out deer Cain than hang your stand over it, How is it leagal to plant a food plot and hang a stand over it? I see no difference. So why is Deer Cain not legal and food plots are?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It basically boils down to infringements on our rights. They start with a little....
Old 10-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bait pile is very confined, where the deer come to the exact location to get their "fix." Food plots are like small fields, often times consisting of basic food types found in the every-day environment of the deer.

We have roughly 10 acres of food plots, which was basically a mix of left over beans/wheat/corn. While the main fields are standing corn/beans...deer rarely visit the food plots. When the fields are combined, it's usually time for the rut. Essentially, food plots are just another choice in the wide open ranges of a field. A salt block or timed feeder can hardly compare to a food plot.

Also, deer licking salt-laced ground or eating from a feeder, arepart of the huge disease problem in some states.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 PM

Perception is reality. Baiting with Deer Cocaine and stuff is obviously to attract deer to a specific location, with minimum nutritional benefit. Decent size food plots could be argued to provide more of a nutritional benefit and more of a sporting chance. In Missouri baiting is illegal, but I believe the Conservation commission/Department of Conservationmade that determination. I don't really view it asan infringement of my rights any morethan I think of baglimits as an infrigement.

I guess there has to be a line drawn somewhere to preserve the sporting chance for game and integrity of hunting.