Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The baiting debate continues... >

The baiting debate continues...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The baiting debate continues...

Old 04-05-2004, 05:03 PM

Default The baiting debate continues...

Just because I like to stir the pot, and because I've never seen a topic with the same subject ( ), what do you consider baiting? Scents, food, mineral blocks, etc...

Play nice now...
Old 04-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The baiting debate continues...

A fifteen year old with a fake ID.[8D]

No it's all good. I like using corn, clover, mineral block and what ever else help them to become fat. It's cost me some money but the deer I shot a few years back we very sweet since they were corn feed for 3 months before I shot them.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I’ll take it a step further. (Getting boring)

The best way to judge your trophy is to look at the work and skill you put forth in harvesting the animal. I don’t believe hunting over bait (food or licks) is really all that skillful and although it’s illegal anyway here in NY, I still wouldn’t do it if it were legal. Now in the states that do allow it, I say have at it guys, I hope you enjoy your hunt. Boys down in Texas or up in Michigan were raised this way and I don’t nock that. I just say it’s not my cup of tea.

Judging a bear on a bait pile sounds like a legit excuse and I buy it. Though as I stand right now I wouldn’t “$buy$” the hunt. I would rather pay big money for a trophy. (See above.) And then that melts into another point. How much of a trophy is a 150 class buck you shoot on the first night of a fully guided wipe your butt hunt? Does it tower over the 110 class buck on the wall next to it? The one you spent months scouting, weeks hunting before finaly beating it.

Well, you said you wanted it to get interesting!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:14 PM

well here's my take on the whole baiting thing. If thats what some(hunters) and I use that term losely, need to do to take a animal then well thats what they gotta do, but they wont ever hunt with me, for some reason I cant see sitting there over a five corse meal just waiting for some animal to come by to eat and then blam, it's all over, to me thats not hunting.JMO, it's kinda like leaning up against a tree fully camoed and taking a deer that is 400yrds away, the poor thing never had a chance. I myself perfer to hunt with a bow and a bow only. I will use a shotgun if it's the last week of hunting and I haven't got one yet, but I haven't had to buy shells in a few years. to each his own, do what you gotta do. And I would never pay for one of those I'll whip your butt hunts too packages..man I love hunting Stueben county......no baiting, no rifile, just good ol' huntin the way it was ment to be, you and the quarry, one on one
Old 04-05-2004, 06:23 PM

There are two types of hunters:

Master Hunters: those who spend hours looking for the right stand sight, patterning the deer, hanging stands, checking the wind, etc..

And then we have:

Master Baiters : Those who go out, hang a stand in a 'likely' area, throw out piles of corn, straw, mineral blocks, fruit licks, etc, in the hopes of enticing a deer to have dinner.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I ask the difference when it's over and oak tree, hedge row and apple tree vs. a pile of corn? You still hunt where they eat and where they sleep. I have only used baiting to fatten and sweeten up the deer the same as they do steers.

I personally don't count the general deer hunting, hunting. 140 and below are a dime a dozen. Bambis below your tree while your climbing, sitting, getting down and changing. The deer are out of control in many residential communities. It's the 160 that is giving me fits. But I don't bait them since the home owners have already taken care of that with their shrubery. But lets not leave out the Does in November. They still are the best bait.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:25 PM

Let's see I have 2 feeders that hold 300 pounds of corn each at a cost of
$30.00 a month to keep filled times 2 that $60.00 times 12 that's around $700.00 dollars a year, I hope a farmer in the Midwest can use his share of that. I have 2 american made timer's I hope I contribute to helping someone in small town America employed. I drive an american vehicle my wife drives an American Vehicle, my daughter and son both drive an American vehicle all of which I paid for with hard earned American dollars. Come on down to Texas and give it a try all you great mighty Hunters, By the way we start OCT 1st and hunt thru the end of January so sorry!That's let me see around 120 days of hunting.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 PM

lmao Hole... I think you're giving yourself too much credit... I didn't ask if you were the ones who keep American Citizens in work, I asked what your opinion was on baiting.

I'm not saying that baiting is necessarily a bad thing, it's legal in Washington, I just don't do it. In some areas people HAVE to bait in order to get an animal and i understand that.