Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 trempeleau county trip >

trempeleau county trip

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

trempeleau county trip

Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default trempeleau county trip

just returned from a week of hunting in tremp. county. I still need to get a Doe.Did not have a very productive week.I kind of thought there would be a little more rut action,Could be the fact that I was hunting public land though.Oh well gonna hunt a week in MN. and then head back for 4 days.Anyone else been hunting in Wisc. ?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trempeleau county trip

I hunted some private land way over in Oconto County and i didnt see anything either
Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Heading out to Trempealeau county this morning for the week. I hope this is the week. It doesn't sound like I missed any prime time rut action last week. This weekend and early next week should be good in the area from what I have been hearing. Good Luck and we'll see you back on here in a week.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Where in trempealeau county are you guys hunting?!?! I hunt in galesville. The rut is in full swing now. I recommend you guys get out there. good luck.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm hunting near Independence. While I was heading out to go hunting last Thursday afternoon, a guy ahead of me had a massive 7 pointer in the bed of his pickup. I'm heading back next Tuesday morning.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 AM

I was about 5 or so miles south of you around North Creek, from Thurs to Sun I saw no less than 10 different bucks and heard many more grunting at does, everything was kosher until that warm front hit Sun. I shot my doe Sun night but had to come back early to get her taken care of. 7/10 bucks I saw were ''teenagers'', 2.5 yo bucks. 3 of those were in my kill zone with shot opportunities. I think the big boys were holed up with the older does that come into estrous early. The doe I shot dressed at 168#. She come in on my right(I thought she was a squirrel) at 15yds. I had to turn 180 degrees and drew with her head behind a tree, when she stepped out at 20 yds, THWACK! I hit her a little far forward and high. Clipped one lung and severed her windpipe, she went 50 yds across the ditch and rolled down into the bottom.
I think this week and weekend will be better as the bucks will be cruising from doe to doe. It's difficult when the does aren't ready yet because the mature bucks know which does will be ready first and hole up with them. Good luck and try to pass on those ''teenagers'', there are ALOT of mature bucks over here. Try to be patient, and if your setup is right a mature buck will trot by during daylight.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on your doe. You obviously are hunting on private land,seeing all them bucks.I did see a couple of 1.5 - 2.5 year olds on the public land I am hunting,and no I don't plan on shooting no young one, my whole purpose is to bag a booner.Good luck and save one for me.