Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Well I did the unthinkable sold my 98 foreman, hadn't planned to but a buddies brother has been looking and offered me a deal that I just could not find a way to say NO!! So I am in the market for the first time in a few years for new Quad..I still might try to find a good shape newer/used 450 S. Before you suggest anything I am looking at a HONDA or a Honda that's it..lol! I went to the dealership to look at the 05's and realized I might be a bit out of the loop in terms of technology. I came away with some question but kind of liked 1 model if only b/c it is what I know. That model being 500 Foreman S/Manual 5 gear. One question is the button shift? I was thinking foot again mostly based on experience but started to think the finger button shift might make it easier for the wife/kids/others to drive it. Anybody have any opinions on this feature? I noticed that a lip home feature is included, so if the shifting was gone via button one wouldn't be broke down in the boones! Cost difference up front is minimal, but what about long term? Any experience or opinions are welcomed!

Ok now to the auto shift models, it appears like others this the way honda is heading, albeit in their own design which I would think and have read is far superior to the belt drive models. I have experience with an auto (polaris sporstman so not apples to apples) but I have always found great for riding, light duty but not so great for heavy dragging, etc. The sales dude said the Hondas design robs some HP to achieve the tranny results & even the larger cc'd engines will not match the true manual 5 of the 500 S. This is sort of contrary to what I have read or believed...so I ask what up and any thoughts on Auto vs manual in the new Hondas please let her rip. Also those who have the heavier autos are you going with 3000lbs winchs? What about the electronic/gauges, do you all have windsheilds or some sort of roll bar to protect this very out in open expensive piece of plastic?

My main concern is for hunting (Moose/Elk/Bear is the prime concern for pulling power) and working around the cabin (sand and rock hauling).

Any other info like model, uses,experiences and so forth please share.

Thanks in advance!

PS: price info would be appreciated as well. This dealership is never been known to give the best deals so chances are I will buy elsewhere but seeing the only full line Honda ATV dealer in town a place to window shop! He quoted me 10K canadian taxes in for 500S push botton shift with 2500 warn installed and swap out factories tires for more aggressive/costly tires (haven't deceided which ones I have Kenda BC's on both my quads and have been pleased so might just stick with them they were I think $65 additonal a corner over the factories, so not the most expensive but certainly not the cheapest either!)
Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default RE: HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Personally i love the standard shift and would not go to the es if my life depended on it. I am a little old fashioned because i still do not trust the technology 100%. The standard shift is great around the farm here if you are huling some pails of oats or anything unstable on the racks that you need to hold onto. By using your foot you have one free hand all the time. As for making it easy for the family to use i see no problems with a standard shift. I was driving our old honda when i was just a little we gaffer and never had any problems cathing onto how the system works. I learnt how to drive the bike just by watching my dad all the time then the day came were i got to sit up front and drive. Soon i was driving by myself. My mother has had a knee replacement and is still able to shift just fine with our yammy. I still like the concept because it seems simple to me and i am not to much of a deep thinker as you know. Gook luck with whatever you decide on. Oh but skeeter if ya need someone to break that bad boy in for ya i can certainly adjust my schedule accordingly to take it for a week test drive lol.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

So I guess you'd say I should forget the 04' 500 Rubicon I got a price on this aft. I don't know looks pretty good but I am waiting to see what this dealer will charge for 05' 500S and if the price he gave me over the phone is the best price on the 04'. I ain't driving 2 hours to turn around with an empty box...hehe!

I agree but the no belt Honda auto design is a lot better concept than my polly or any others(even though they have come some in the past years). When ever you talk manual vs auto the auto is going to take a bit more in up keep but we are talking Honda so I would think if their is a durable Auto to rival a manual then these would be the guys to get her done. Still a bit confused to how the "Program" works with regards to the Rubicon, it is selectable to your usage, so unsure if it would be fine for hauling...I mean I ain't pulling in a tractor pull if it will yank a bull moose or better yet bull elk up the valley than I would be tickled. I know the wife never liked to drive anything but the polly so it would allow her to drive the shiny one when were at the lake or farm.

I'll be sure to drop it by for your eval, whenI make a deal..LOL

Keep em coming!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:41 PM

I have a 2002 Rubicon and I would never go back to a S or ES model. It has high and low range. 3 programs in high,D1 holds the motor in higher revs for more hp,D2 holds the motor at lower revs for more torqe to limit wheel spin,ESP you can use finger shifter to shift to 5 preset setings. In low it is in D2, or you can use ESP. I use it to pull a drag for food plots and out in CO Rocky's elk hunting. This thing has some power and the BEST engine braking ever!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too have a 2002 rubicon and I would never consider a manual shift atv again.My rubicon has been worked hard dragging whole moose and elk and carrying heavy loads and has been totally reliable and trouble free.The shifting is extremely smooth and the engine braking is the best that I have seen.The power in low range is more than adequate to drag a whole moose in very rough conditions.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

You just have to be careful when in the D2 mode if you are stuck in the mud. I've heard that the high revs of spinning the wheels in D2 mode has been tearing up some of the tranny's. Just hear say I own a 05 kaw praire 700 it's a good bike , contemplated buying a honda rincon also but just could not pass up the deal at $6000 on the kaw. Have fun shoping around and check out all the models. Good Luck
Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the reply guys. What cc engine are you guys running in your Rubicon's, BTW? What type of tires are you running on them? Are you both using a 2500lb warn or larger? Also the Select shift program is this like a manual for hauling or do you stick with the D2 selection for the heavy work? The 04' 500 I was quoted on sold but I have emails from other dealers that both have new 04 models, not sure about prices yet. Haven't checked into many rubicons but I was quoted in that 12 g range for a new 05' 500, stubblejumper does that sound about right to you.

Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter-All rubicons are 500cc.I have a 2000lb winch on my ribicon because I bought mine as a demo.My own choice would be a 2500lb winch but so far the 2000lb unit has done the job.I am running 26x10 and 26x12 gators on the stock rims as they provide good grip and are reasonable priced.I always use my rubicon in d1 and find that it works well.I use d1 and low range for heavy towing.Right now Blackfoot motosports in Calgary has the the 2005 canadian trail edition for $9499.They still have 2004's on sale for $8499.Of course accessories and taxes are extra.Here is the link http://www.blackfootmotosports.com/HTML/hondaATV.html
Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks SJ for the link and info. I intially thought the FG model indicated the Rubicon and saw on honda website they had a 650 but after doing more research I see that is the Rinicon. I also see the dry weight is essentially the same on the rubicons as the 500S Foreman, so 2500lb warn will do nicely on either. So appologize for asking stupid questions, just hadn't really considered the Rubicon ...UNTIL NOW.

I have found a few dealers with 04 models, one is tweaking the price some and waiting for a final from him on a rubicon. Here it appears the 05' Rubicons are 9,500-10 before access and taxes (but have sent some feeler's for the best price to the dealers for the rubicon..so we'll see how it shakes out).

One more quick question seeing your originally from the East part of Sask, have you heard or know anything about Schrader's in Yorkton? Rick is supposedly getting me some pricing on their units in stock...just curious. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually skeeter,I grew up 25 miles from Yorkton and used to have Schraders supply most of my parts and do my service.Prices and service were good but then again that was over 25 years ago so things may have changed over the years.Another dealer that I used to buy from was Edfield motors.They are a small dealer located just north of Foam lake and their prices were very good.Again it has been many years since I dealt with them.With a little research you should find a good price and I am sure that you will enjoy the rubicon.

Quick Reply: HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.