Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question >

Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question

Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question

anybody tried the weaver grand slam scope & if so what do you think of the product? My Dad has a friend who is very knowledgable in the benchrest,,,varmint,,,and just plain old target shooting world and has suggested that this might be the best scope on the market for the money. Im interested in buying one for a t/c encore and just looking to find someone who actually has or has had one for their comments

thanx Mike
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question

Well ... rem700man, I have the 6-20AO x 40mm Weaver Grand Slam scope and it’s mounted on my Rem 700 VLS rifle. I have only shot this rifle at the range for a total of 40 rounds but I’m impressed with the scope so far. It’s one of the clearest scopes I have and I have a number of them in different makes.

The power adjustment rings is very easy to rotate compared to other scopes. You don’t require a coin to adjust the cross hair settings. This particular model I have has 1/8” - MOA. so you can fine tune the scope for setting up. The eye relief isn’t as good as other models but works fine for a cartridge with low recoil. This is one brand of scope that doesn’t get much recognition but in my opinion I find it to be an excellent scope for the price. If you would like to see what they have available check out this link. www.weaveroptics.com Hope I was some help and good luck.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't used one in the field but I've handled many at the gun show. I've done some research as I needed a new scope a year ago. On the highest power setting for the 3-10X40 it only has 2.875" of eye relief. This isn't enough in my opinion unless it will be on something in the 257 Roberts class of lighter. If you are lying prone and tilt your head just a little forward for a clear sight picture you will be hit in the brow by the eyepiece of the scope. I went with a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9X40 that I found on sale for $219.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:26 PM

700man,
I have two Weaver Grand Slams. I have the 3-10X40 on a 270 win. and the 1.5-5X32 on my T/C Encore. These are very good scopes. A lot of what you read about scopes on this message board are subjective opinions and so is this post. I have hunted with several low to mid cost scopes in my life. I have alsolooked throughmy Grand Slamsright next to several other mid to upper mid cost scopes. These Grand Slams are the real deal. Theycost the same as a lower to lower-mid class scope, but I've never looked through a scope that was any clearer or better in low light. This includes various Leopolds and Nikons. I have not direclty compared my Grand Slams against top end stuff such as Swarofski (sp?) or Kahles. I hunted elk in Colorado last year where it was 20-40 degrees everyday with lots of rain and snow. My 3-10 never fogged or malfunctioned in any way. It was as clear as can be. I bought mine because of the Gear Guides published in Outdoor life two years in a row picked Weaver Grand Slam scopes as the best of the best, including very high end scopes. Visually, these scopes do everything I could ever want a scope to do and I can't see how any others could be better.
Now, with all of that said, I have to agree 100% with Trailer and Superpig that I wish the Grand Slams had more eye relief. This is the only reason that I may buy a different scope for my next rifle. I'm not saying that these scopes are going to maim everyone whom owns one, just that you have to be paying attention to the task at hand and be ready for recoil. I've put several hundred rounds through my 270 win and 50 cal Encore with Grand Slams mounted. I got bit once because I was a bit lacadasical in my preparation for the recoil.
Overall, I'd highly recommend Weaver Grand Slams to everyone unless you like to hug close to the scope and are shooting magnums.

PS, I really don't know why these scopes don't get more respect by hunters, particularly after the Outdoor Life Gear Guides in 2003 and 2004 picked them as the best of the best.

Bill the Dog
Old 08-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks alot for the posts,,,thats what i was wanting to hear. Natchez shooting supplies just happens to have the 3x10x50's on sale fer 294.00$ right now & im gonna go order one in silver for an encore in 7-08. Thanks again & good luck to all this hunting season
Old 08-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check on what they had to say about the Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10x50 that was field tested. Might interest you. Good luck with your new scope. http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/g...ry=riflescopes