Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Weaver Grand Slam

Old 01-19-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Weaver Grand Slam

Looking at getting a new scope and was wondering if the Weaver Grand Slams were any good. I want it 4.5-16 or better. It'll be mounted on the 300 Win Mag that I'm looking at(Browning Abolt, Tikka T3, or Ruger M77). I haven't ruled out leupold or nikkon either. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Default RE: Weaver Grand Slam

I think that you would be very happy with the new Weaver Grand Slams. They are extremely clear and bright. I would compare them to the old Vari-X III's, Bushnell Elite 4200's and the Nikon Monarchs. At a fraction of the cost. I personally like the Nikon Monarch's a little better, but are very close.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 01-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

iloveto4x4innc , I don’t have a Weaver Grand Slam but read a good review on this scope... At some point the Grand Slam is compared to the Leupold vxii and I found it very interesting...Next time I’m at a sporting good store, I’m not going pass them buy with out looking at them..Check this link for more information. www.chuckhawks.com/grand_slam_scopes.htm

Hope this helps you out and good luck with your purchase..
Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 AM

I have two Weaver Grand Slams. I read the gear guide in Outdoor Life and the Grand Slams were the best scope they tested two years in a row. I put my first one on a 270 and I really like it. It is a 3-10X 40mm. I don't have a lot to compare it agains other than some older, kinda cheap Tascos and a few Redfields. It's a lot better than any of them. I put a 1.5-5X 32mm on my Encore Muzzleloader and it's just as good.
I only have one complaint and maybe it doesn't apply to most people. I'd like to see Weaver put a little longer eye relief on their Grand Slams. Another half an inch or so would be better in my opinion. My muzzleloader bit me last summer on the range.
Overall, I think that these are great scopes. Maybe there are better, but I doubt that I could tell the difference. Bear Basin has them in the $250-300 range. The low price is what really swayed me over going with Nikon, Swarovskis, etc.

One guys opinion.

Bill the Dog