HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Bill the Dog

Default RE: Weaver Grand Slam Scope Question

700man,
I have two Weaver Grand Slams. I have the 3-10X40 on a 270 win. and the 1.5-5X32 on my T/C Encore. These are very good scopes. A lot of what you read about scopes on this message board are subjective opinions and so is this post. I have hunted with several low to mid cost scopes in my life. I have alsolooked throughmy Grand Slamsright next to several other mid to upper mid cost scopes. These Grand Slams are the real deal. Theycost the same as a lower to lower-mid class scope, but I've never looked through a scope that was any clearer or better in low light. This includes various Leopolds and Nikons. I have not direclty compared my Grand Slams against top end stuff such as Swarofski (sp?) or Kahles. I hunted elk in Colorado last year where it was 20-40 degrees everyday with lots of rain and snow. My 3-10 never fogged or malfunctioned in any way. It was as clear as can be. I bought mine because of the Gear Guides published in Outdoor life two years in a row picked Weaver Grand Slam scopes as the best of the best, including very high end scopes. Visually, these scopes do everything I could ever want a scope to do and I can't see how any others could be better.
Now, with all of that said, I have to agree 100% with Trailer and Superpig that I wish the Grand Slams had more eye relief. This is the only reason that I may buy a different scope for my next rifle. I'm not saying that these scopes are going to maim everyone whom owns one, just that you have to be paying attention to the task at hand and be ready for recoil. I've put several hundred rounds through my 270 win and 50 cal Encore with Grand Slams mounted. I got bit once because I was a bit lacadasical in my preparation for the recoil.
Overall, I'd highly recommend Weaver Grand Slams to everyone unless you like to hug close to the scope and are shooting magnums.

PS, I really don't know why these scopes don't get more respect by hunters, particularly after the Outdoor Life Gear Guides in 2003 and 2004 picked them as the best of the best.

Bill the Dog